Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL Pick'em Week 4

sirdizzy
    i decided to do the next decade, and I threw out 1982 because it was the strike season and Denver lost at home

1985- Denver won both games
    1984- Split their games, home team won both times
    1983- Split their games, home team won both times
    *1982- strike season only played once, KC won in Denver
    1981- Split their games, home team won both times
    1980- Cheifs won both games
    1979- Denver won both games
    1978- Denver won both games
    1977- Denver won both games
    1976- Denver won both games
    1975- Split their games, home team won both times

now this is the most skewed decade but still the road teams did not hold court, Denver went 14-6 (14-7 with the strike year) in this time and they only split 4 times out of the 10

If I were to go back any further we get to where Denver was one of the worst teams in the afl and its going to be mostly chiefs wins, although in 1974 the road teams were victorious again only the 2nd time in 32 years

if you want to know why the cheifs hold the series lead even though these teams split their home games every year its the afl days that did them in
    1963 (the first year the chiefs joined the afl, denvers 4th)- Chiefs won both games
    1964- Split their games, home team won both times
    1965- Chiefs won both games
    1966- Chiefs won both games
    1967- Chiefs won both games
    1968- Chiefs won both games
    1969- Chiefs won both games
    1970- Split their games, home team won both times
    1971- Chiefs won both games
    1972- Chiefs won both games
    1973- Split their games, home team won both times
    1974- Split their games, road team won both times

so in 44 years only twice have the road teams won both games, 1974 and 1994 so the next time by the 20 year span should be 2014, in their first 10 years the broncos went 2-18 against the chiefs, since then they have gone 36-25 in the last 32 years

Well in the 60's and 70's The Chiefs were great and the Broncos stunk heh.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    Today was another example of why the Ravens are probably headed to the AFC championship game with Steve McNair as their QB. With the inept Boller at the helm they'd be lucky to be 2-2 right now, but with McNair they're undefeated because they now have a former MVP at the most critical position on the field.

The ending to the Colts game was amazing. Manning just kept battling back and tearing up the Jets D late in the game.

What the hell has gotten into the Redskins gatorade? That was just any defense they put 36 points on, it was a Jags defense that looked like one of the best in the league the first 3 weeks of the season.
    The Ravens have benefitted from no run game (Cleveland) and Marty Ball. They probably won't go to the AFC Championship because McNair is too erratic and they have no run game.

sirdizzy
    next week should still be pretty interesting because the ravens travel to Denver for MNF, and i normally would assure a Denver win because it is at home and while the ravens are good they are still a little overrated and have benifited from their first 3 opponents being 0-8 and like ryan said this weeks marty ball fiasco, but Denver is notoriously bad after bye weeks

the thing about the denver/kc rivarly is when the teams are fairly equal they split the series and when they are not its the haves/have not syndrome with the better team winning both games, Denver is 10-2 against the chiefs the 6 years they have gone to the superbowl and following Elways retirement the chiefs won 4 straight games

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Quote Originally Posted by sirdizzy View Post
    next week should still be pretty interesting because the ravens travel to Denver for MNF, and i normally would assure a Denver win because it is at home and while the ravens are good they are still a little overrated and have benifited from their first 3 opponents being 0-8 and like ryan said this weeks marty ball fiasco, but Denver is notoriously bad after bye weeks

Denver is a soft team. If you play smashmouth football with them, they will fold.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Who would have thought after 4 weeks, the only undefeated teams would be the Bears, Ravens and the Colts?

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    Da Bears!!!

I thought that this could have been the week that the Bears might end up loosing. They are so good at making us Chicagoans get all high and giddy ... then blow it (of course there is so much time left for that still ). But they creamed the Seahawks!!! There is hope!

JMK
    The Bears punched the Seahawks right in the mouth last night. Would the game have turned out differently if it were in Seattle and Alexander was healthy? Probably, but I still think the Bears would have won given how well they are playing right now.

And the Patriots also serve notice that they aren't dead yet. They embarassed the Bengals yesterday.

Finally, are the Raiders the biggest joke in the history of the NFL? They had a big late lead and they blew it to the Browns of all teams, and they were at home! What a farce!

jjwr
    Raiders are definetly sad, they need to gut the team from the front office down and start over. They should try and trade Moss now while they can still get something for him and use the pick to attempt to rebuild next year.

The Pats definitly had a nice comback, the Bronco's game wasn't as bad as it looked, the Pats D is for real, with the exception of a few missed tackles the Jets would never have been in their game and the Bronco's game would have been totally different. Course the O sucked in the Bronco's game but now that its coming around they'll be much scarier going forward.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Anyone hear Denny Greens quote on starting Leinart?

"Matt Leinart will be the starting QB next week. Is this decision irrational? No. I had plenty of time to think about it while we were losing so bad."

JMK

That's freaking hilarious! How's that taste Mr Warner?

On a slightly darker note, anyone see that Titan try to stomp the Cowboys player's melon into pulp? He deserves to be suspended for the rest of the year IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2609563

sirdizzy
    I would love to see someone knock those cocky 72 dolphins (ones who hoped that a team that had the son of one of thier own players would get hurt badly, we of course are talking about the 98 broncos and Brian Griese son of Bob Griese) off their damn high horses

I hate the colts, I mean hate the colts but if they would be willing to go 16-0 for me so I don't have to see that god damn champange crap each and every year, I'd cheer for them

I can get behind the bears and by god I am cheering for them to go 16-0

Nobody is going to go 16-0. It is impossible, there is too much parity. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no undfeated teams in a few weeks. This season it is very much up for grabs.
    Oh and who would have thought the Chiefs would have the 3rd ranked defense I know it is only three games but still there defense hasn't been a problem this year.
    Last edited by Jedi Master Carr; Oct 2nd, 2006 at 05:19:20 PM.

jjwr
    Its not impossible, just really freaking hard. Don't forget 2 teams in the past 4 years have had 16+ game winning streaks, just not in the same season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    Nobody is going to go 16-0. It is impossible, there is too much parity. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no undfeated teams in a few weeks. This season it is very much up for grabs.
    Oh and who would have thought the Chiefs would have the 3rd ranked defense I know it is only three games but still there defense hasn't been a problem this year.
    That's one of the things Herman Edwards is known for. It's a shame that Saunders left for the Redskins. With his playbook I think the Chiefs could have done some damage in a year or two, but I still don't trust Edwards with play calling or game management.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I can't see the Bears losing more than two games.

Da Bears
    People are seriously underestimating Rex Grossman. I don't care what he did in college, or that he spent most of his first two seasons injured. I saw the difference in the Bears offense when he took over for Orton last year. The guy can make plays and his numbers don't tell the whole story. The offense just has a different attitude when he's under center. The Bears didn't lose to the Panthers last year because Grossman had a bad game, they lost because Steve Smith bent that vaunted defense over, had his way with them, and then snuck out of bed the next moring before Orlacher and company woke up and knew what hit them. The Bears have as good a chance as any team in the NFC to make it to their conference championship game. With that joke of division they'll probably be a #1 or #2 seed.

JMK
    Well I think today teams are more preoccupied with making sure their players are ready for the playoffs rather than having an undefeated season. Of course it depends on the coach, but I would think that any coach would tell you he'd rather a SB ring rather than 16-0. If a team gets to 12-0, 13-0 I think they start to sit their starters and they eventually lose one before the end, especially whichever game the regular QB doesn't start.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    Well I think today teams are more preoccupied with making sure their players are ready for the playoffs rather than having an undefeated season. Of course it depends on the coach, but I would think that any coach would tell you he'd rather a SB ring rather than 16-0. If a team gets to 12-0, 13-0 I think they start to sit their starters and they eventually lose one before the end, especially whichever game the regular QB doesn't start.

I agree with that, and that is why the Colts lost last year. At least I think they started sitting players the game they lost to SD. Who cares about a perfect season if you lose your starting QB in the last game and end up getting ousted from the playoffs two weeks later.

That's one of the things Herman Edwards is known for. It's a shame that Saunders left for the Redskins. With his playbook I think the Chiefs could have done some damage in a year or two, but I still don't trust Edwards with play calling or game management.
    Well Vermeil was no better. He had some awful game managment at times in KC. Actually old Marty did too, Man KC have been cursed with bad clock managment coaches. Saunders though didn't come back because he was mad at the organization because he thougth Vermeil was going to get the the HC job.

sirdizzy
    yea but after seeing what happened to the colts last year in the playoffs, if the colts or the bears arrive at that 13-0 point again, I truly think they may consider going all out for the 16-0 to keep the rust off

the other undefeated team the ravens won't make it to their bye undefeated, i don't think they are going to get past denver next week in denver for MNF

so if anyone is going to do it this year it will have to be the bears or the colts

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast