Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NFL Pick'em Week 1: Jedieb Defends His Title!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

You display superior taste in footwear. In an unrelated matter, I would like to mate with you.
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Andrew
    Wasn't pretty, but neither was last year's kick-off game. All things considered, it's a great win for the Steelers. Yes, Batch had his ulcer-inducing moments, but he finished 15/25 for 209 yards and 3 TDs. I'm thrilled that he came through in the end!

Nick Saban's botched challenge attempt was hilarious. Yeah, I feel bad that it was a wrong call, but he didn't do himself any favors. And, anyway, barring another Batch fumble, I think a first-and-goal from the 2 would practically be a lock for a pumped-up Steelers offense. Anyway, an 87-yard TD reception for Heath Miller is sweet.

Both Culpepper and Saban got way too antsy at the end. They get the ball back four points down with more than six minutes to play, and they abandoned the run. Though, given how fast Culpepper threw it to Troy, I guess we'll never know what the gameplan was.
    Photobucket

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Well, there goes the Miami bandwaggon up in smoke and flames. I can't believe I fell for it. They don't look like a playoff contender, let alone SB candidate. Likely, they will fight at the bottom of the barrel like in previous years. As for Culpepper, can we say B.U.S.T.? Man, it looks like he is back to his old sins. Whats hilarious, he was one of the top drafted quarterbacks in many leagues. Those having drafted him as a "stud" QB must be be in panic right now, and the season barely started!

I really thought Miami had a chance here, concidering Big Ben was out for this game. Now, I can only laugh at my own stupidity!

jjwr
    Its only the first game, on the road, against the Defending Superbowl champions, not exactly a recipe for success. And Culpepper hasn't played in a while so I wouldn't get too worried just yet. Now in 5 weeks if they are 1-5 I'd worry

As for Batch...this helps my point about the "great" Big Ben, he's a good QB no doubt about it but so much of it is that system, killer D with a great running attack. Batch is 3-0 the last two years starting.

jjwr
    And Jedeib drops a game off the pace already...that should be a good indactor of how the rest of the year will go

JMK
    Ugh. I know it's only 1 game, but boy did Culpepper look like crap. Even before the 2 INTs. He underthrew guys, he was innaccurate, rushed his passes...all signs of rust, adjusting to a new team, playing against the defending champs....and....possibly being a bust? I don't think he's a bust just yet, its way too soon for that, but nothing about the Dolphins was particularly encouraging last night. Except for Ronnie Brown and Wes Welker.

The also waited way too long to get Chris Chambers involved, plus they pretty much abandonded the run. I think Brown only had like 13 carries.

JMK
    Yeah, there was question marks all over their game plan last night. With Culpepper so erratic they should have gotten Brown more involved. I think they were too afraid of the Steelers run defense, and maybe they have a point with that, but they did score both of their TDs on the ground.

Saban also made a huge mistake in waiting so long to throw that flag. I'm sure he was waiting for confirmation from the booth upstairs, but he seemed so nonchalant about it. The Steelers would have been first and goal on the 1 or 2 yard line and probably would have scored anyway, but they HAD to challenge that.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

You display superior taste in footwear. In an unrelated matter, I would like to mate with you.
    AKA
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwr View Post
    As for Batch...this helps my point about the "great" Big Ben, he's a good QB no doubt about it but so much of it is that system, killer D with a great running attack. Batch is 3-0 the last two years starting.
    ...So what's your point? He can't possibly be that good because his team is good?

Depends on what your definition is of "great," granted, but I defy you to tell me that anyone outside the top tier of quarterbacks could have turned in the playoff performance he had last year (excepting the Super Bowl). He's got a ways to go, yes, but what makes him so valuable to the Steelers is that he completes their system. He has the right skillset to flourish in a traditionally run-heavy, defensive team, and he's shown he can be a dominant passing threat when matched up with the best QB's in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    Yeah, there was question marks all over their game plan last night. With Culpepper so erratic they should have gotten Brown more involved. I think they were too afraid of the Steelers run defense, and maybe they have a point with that, but they did score both of their TDs on the ground.

Saban also made a huge mistake in waiting so long to throw that flag. I'm sure he was waiting for confirmation from the booth upstairs, but he seemed so nonchalant about it. The Steelers would have been first and goal on the 1 or 2 yard line and probably would have scored anyway, but they HAD to challenge that.
    I also have to wonder what they were thinking on that critical 3 and 2 after the fumble. If they had gotten a first down there they could have drove down the field and took the game in hand. But they try an run option against a fast defnese with Ronnie Brown? That was dumb they should have either ran up the gut or went for a short pass.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Tannis V'larr View Post
    ...So what's your point? He can't possibly be that good because his team is good?

Depends on what your definition is of "great," granted, but I defy you to tell me that anyone outside the top tier of quarterbacks could have turned in the playoff performance he had last year (excepting the Super Bowl). He's got a ways to go, yes, but what makes him so valuable to the Steelers is that he completes their system. He has the right skillset to flourish in a traditionally run-heavy, defensive team, and he's shown he can be a dominant passing threat when matched up with the best QB's in the league.
    Kyle Boller could be a good QB in the Steelers system. The Steelers probably would have gotten to the Superbowl whether it was Roethlesberger, Batch, Maddox, or Josh Harris. Tommy Maddox wasn't a bad QB. He played good in 2002 and then in '03, when the Steelers lost 10 games he threw over five hundred times. That's not a winning formula.

Batch just goes to prove that with ample protection and poise anyone can execute the Steelers system. It's almost the same as one saying they can rush for a thousand yards in Denver. For those that remember Charlie Batch's days as a Lion, he was terrible. Absolutely terrible, some even point to him as the reason Barry Sanders walked away. That's pretty bad.

jjwr
    That pretty much sums up what I was going to say. No doubt Ben is a good QB, he's shown that but a lot of his early success has been the system.

Before you say I'm just bashing him I'll stand rigth up and say the same thing can be said of Brady his first few years, he was heavily protected by a very good team around him but since has grown into the leader of the team and arguably one fo the top 2 QB's in the league.

He definetly shows flashes and as long as he doesn't end up with a mental block from this offs-season he should have a long and very productive career, just saying all the hype over him is a bit unfounded at this point due to the team.

JMK
    Can we stop giving soooooo much credit to the *system* and a little more to the QB?
    I don't mean to say that systems mean nothing, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY talks this way about Joe Montana. He's the ultimate product of a system.

I don't believe for one second that the Steelers would have won the SB with any of those other QBs. If they could have, they would have. Heck, Maddox was a great story a few years back, but he fell apart. Roethlisberger is a terrific QB who is smart enough to know his limitations, and uses the people around him to maximize the team's effectiveness. Sure, that pretty defines what a system is and does but you need a great QB to execute that.

jjwr
    Trent Dilfer ring a bell?

jjwr
    Sunday, Sep. 10
    Atlanta at Carolina(WIN) 1 p.m.
    Baltimore at Tampa Bay(WIN) 1 p.m.
    Buffalo at New England(WIN) 1 p.m.
    Cincinnati(WIN) at Kansas City 1 p.m.
    Denver(WIN) at St. Louis 1 p.m.
    New Orleans at Cleveland(WIN) 1 p.m.
    N.Y. Jets at Tennessee(WIN) 1 p.m.
    Philadelphia(WIN) at Houston 1 p.m.
    Seattle at Detroit(WIN) 1 p.m.
    Chicago(WIN) at Green Bay 4:15 p.m.
    Dallas(WIN) at Jacksonville 4:15 p.m.
    Niners at Arizona(WIN) 4:15 p.m.
    Colts(WIN) at N.Y. Giants 8:15 p.m.

Monday, Sep. 11
    Minnesota at Washington(WIN) 7 p.m.
    San Diego(WIN) at Oakland 10:15 p.m.

Can we stop giving soooooo much credit to the *system* and a little more to the QB?
    I don't mean to say that systems mean nothing, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY talks this way about Joe Montana. He's the ultimate product of a system.

I don't believe for one second that the Steelers would have won the SB with any of those other QBs. If they could have, they would have. Heck, Maddox was a great story a few years back, but he fell apart. Roethlisberger is a terrific QB who is smart enough to know his limitations, and uses the people around him to maximize the team's effectiveness. Sure, that pretty defines what a system is and does but you need a great QB to execute that.
    Considering Montana is my idol I have to disagree with you. I think if Montana had went somewhere else he probably wouldn't had won 4 SBs. I don't necessarly think it was the system but he was in a great place surrounding by great players and had the perfect coach in Bill Walsh.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Maddox lost his confidence. Being a QB you need confidence. Watching Ben win 15 games as a rookie does that. Same thing happened to so many other guys. They bring in a young and they collapse.

sirdizzy
    hey got say Brad Johnson to join Trent Dilfer in mediocre qb land with a ring
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Sep 12th, 2006 at 09:18:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdizzy View Post
    hey got say Brad Johnson to join Trent Dilfer in mediocre qb land with a ring
    You could put together a good list of QBs like that.
    And there is the fluke wonders like Mark Rypen and Jeff Hosteller who never played that good after that.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Brad Johnson played well after the SB, in his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwr View Post
    And Jedeib drops a game off the pace already...that should be a good indactor of how the rest of the year will go
    Silly rabbits, enjoy your pathetic lead while it lasts!!!!!

Friggin' Fins, I should have known better. I was on the phone with my best friend, the biggest Dolphins fan I know, and got off the phone just as it looked like Miami was about to take control of the game. Then before you know it, an 87 yard TD pass followed by two Culpepper INT's. Holy cow, I don't think I've seen the wheels come off a bandwagon that fast in years. The Fins can at least comfort themselves with the fact that it was a road loss, but they had this game in hand and missed a big opportunity.

Still haven't been able to get jacked up about this season, it's weird. I'm spending most of my sports time following the Yanks with MLB Extra Innings. I'm even considering taping tomorrow's rubber game against the O's and watching it Monday afternoon.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast