Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Second Half Begins (July & Aug)

That was one hell of a pitching performance for that kid, even if it was against the Royals. The Yanks rallied in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game!!!!!!!!!! A-Rod was at the plate with the game tied, 2 outs, Posada at first, a 3-1 count and the ump calls a rain delay!!!!!! Crap, I won't be going to bed anytime soon.

JMK
    So are the Braves really that dead? They've won 13 of 14, and have scored more than 10 runs in 5 consecutive games (65 runs in 5 games).

They're still 11.5 back of the Mets, who just keep winning, but they are on the wild card radar. Can they get back in it? Even take it? History says yes...but at some point they won't be able to pull it off.

They're still 4 games back of the Reds in the Wild Card chase AFTER this streak. They are due for a letdown of some degree, but if they don't get too many games back theymight have a shot to catch Cincy.

JMK
    I also think that Cincy is not totally for real. I believe they'll have a mediocre second half and the Braves will have a legit shot to catch them.

I think they have a chance at the Wild Card. They can forget the division. They would need the Mets to collapse like the Dodgers did in the 50's or the Cubs back in 68. I just don't see that happening.

I don't think anyone expects Atlanta to catch New York. Looking at the teams ahead of them, I think the Braves toughest competiton for the WC will be Los Angeles(I also find the Reds to be a tad suspect).

I don't think the Reds are that good either. The Dodgers though are fighting for the division too, so they could still get in that way. I am not too sure about the Padres either and the rest of that division is weak.
    Oh and this hasn't been brought up at least by me, but do you all think Bonds might be suspended if he gets indicted on tax invasion and perjury? I just wondered what the precident has been before this case.

JMK
    Selig says he has the authority to suspend Bonds. And I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to be able to suspend him indefinetly. He'd love to suspend him now for all the roid talk, but he can't because there was no testing, no rules. If he's given a real, legal reason to suspend him, I'm sure he will make Bonds go away at least for a little while.

That is what I am hoping. Also with the tax invasion claim, Bonds might be in some trouble. It is hard disproving that if he didn't pay any taxes for the money he got. He could be facing anywhere from 6 months to 2 years in jail for that. Pete Rose got 9 months just to make a comparison.

One of the young kids came through again last night! Cabrera hit a walk off HR into the short porch in right early this morning. The bottom of the order has come up big against Seattle. Detroit still can't find a way to beat Chicago. Both teams have a lot at stake in this series. Detroit has to start beating the AL Big Boys or they're not going to be taken seriously.

Friggin' Atlanta, can't these losers just stay dead?

JMK
    He could be facing anywhere from 6 months to 2 years in jail for that. Pete Rose got 9 months just to make a comparison.
    I doubt Barry will get 9 months. It's a different world now, and even though Barry is much more hated than Rose was, he's got the race card, which he will use, and he's got a lot of clout. I doubt he spends more than the minimum in prison...which would be a comfortable 20'x20' cell with a double bed, high def tv and great food. It won't be all that bad considering where other crooks go.

Detroit is losing credibility with each loss to the proven big boys. They're looking like paper lions more and more each time they lose to the teams they NEED to beat. And if they don't start beating them, at least for their confidence's sake, they will be in a lot of trouble come the last 2 weeks of September.

JMK
    Originally posted by Jedieb
    Last night would have been a tough game to lose, but that rally will probably carry Boston to a sweep of KC.
    Correct you were sir. Interesting fact: these 2 consecutive 1-0 wins are the first consecutive 1-0 wins the Sox have posted at Fenway park since 1916. 90 years ago. Wow.

I know two straight 1-0 victories is hard to believe.

Darth McBain
    No immediate indictment for Bonds...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

I think they could have got tax invasion on him, heck they don't have to go through the grand jury process to get that. Perjury is a different matter and I think they want to get him for the one that would be the harsher punishment.

I think A-Rod is going to need a 4th shrink. The Yanks are up 3-0 and Mussina is mowing down Blue Jays as if they were little leaguers. Man on 3rd, one out, and they hit a grounder to 3rd. A-Rod can concede the run, but kill the rally with an easy throw to first leaving 2 outs and no one on. He can try to throw home and stop the run from scoring, still get that second out despite leaving a runner on base. With a good throw the runner is out. A-Rod throws wide left, Posada can't make the catch and 10 minutes later, the Blue Jays have 4 runs in. What's worse, after the game some reporter got Mussina to make some comments about A-Rods play. Earlier in the year A-Rod made an error that cost Moose a complete game shut out so there's some history there. If the game had been at the Stadium they would have started throwing stuff at A-Rod. This is going to be a brutal weekend for Alex, at least they're on the road.

The Tigers won their series against Chicago by coming back for the second straight day. These last two games were huge for Detroit. After dropping the first game you had to wonder if they were ever going to beat any of the big boys. Chicago was around 5-1 against Detroit. Now, the Tigers extend their lead to 5.5 and they've proven to Chicago and the rest of the league that they can hand with the champs. Boston has now picked up a couple of games on both the Yanks and Chicago.

Ughh, another loss tonight and I may have to beat one of my kids this weekend.

JMK
    Poor A-Rod...his confidence has to be shot to hell. Now he's trying to hard to make up for his mistakes - i.e. by getting the runner at home instead of killing the rally. That's a little league mistake. It would be one thing to do that in a tight playoff game, but not now. But like I said earlier and repeatedly, the Blue Jays can hit the stink out of the ball. And they will eventually get to you if you let them, as the Yankees did yesterday. Moose had a good outing, but the Jays will kick the door down if you give them the opportunity. And they did.

The Tigers finally gave themselves some credibility by beating the Sox and taking the series. Good for them. I'd hate for them to play .667 ball for so long only to see them collapse.

The Tigers rebounded well in that series. Now with a 5.5 game lead things get tough for the White Sox. Also the WC is no longer guarenteed, they are only 2.5 up on the Yankees, have to watch the Twins and Blue Jays as well.

Tonight's game isn't on TV and I'm in withdrawal... The Yanks were down 4-0 and A-Rod hit a 3 run HR to get them back in the game. Wright is apparently throwing like crap though, the Blue Jays got another run and now it's 5-3. I had no idea their offense was this good. Their team average is over .290 and they've hit more HR's than both the Yanks and Red Sox.

Crap, Wright's been pulled after loading the bases and replaced with Chacon.

The White Sox keep struggling getting beat 10-3 by Texas. And Minnesota is just lurking out there only 3 games back. The White Sox better watch out.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast