Thread: 'Lestat', the musical, premieres on Broadway...

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Jenny

'Lestat', the musical, premieres on Broadway...

... to some less than glowing reviews! Apparently, it sucks

Taken from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042502251.html

"Lestat," which opened last night at the Palace Theatre, is based on part of Anne Rice's "Vampire Chronicles." Rice's work was also the subject of the slinky movie "Interview With the Vampire," which cast Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt as androgynous magazine-cover ghouls. "Lestat" features less glamorous actors singing hymns to their inner undeadness and engaging in ungodly amounts of neck-biting -- sessions that, yawn, leave marks but no real impression.

What this latest vampire musical shares with its fellow vampire musicals is a big price tag -- "Lestat's" spreadsheet involves a reported 12 million smackers -- and the goal of a "Phantom"-caliber mystique. The only thing distinguishing this musical from its late, unlamented predecessors is that the lead vampires play for the, er, other team. In other words, "Lestat's" contribution to art and equality is demonstrating that a gay vampire with a two-octave range can be just as dull as a straight one.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    It's Anne Rice, were you expecting quality?

Rod Stafford
    Originally posted by Mitch
    It's a shame how much validity that statement holds these days.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Originally posted by Mitch
    Oh no. Right from when this first was proposed, I knew it was going to be awful. It was just a question of how awful.

As an aside, I am amazed that this went ahead. Apparently Anne Rice herself had no part in the creation of the musical. Usually she would be freaking out, worrying about her precious little Lestat. I guess she trusts Elton John

Rod Stafford
    Originally posted by Vega Van-Derveld
    I guess she trusts Elton John
    Well, since poor Aaliyah passed away, I'm sure she's been looking for a new Queen of the Damned.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Bite that apple, bitch!
    DragonCon 09

Originally posted by Rod Stafford
    Well, since poor Aaliyah passed away, I'm sure she's been looking for a new Queen of the Damned.

lol.

Shouldn't this musical have come out like, ages ago? I remember being really into Anne Rice (Okay, not that into - I could only read one of her novels) in Grade 9

Darth McBain
    I can't stand any of her stuff... Interview with the Vampire was the one and only movie that I hated so much that I actually walked out of. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to movies and I can usually stay through about anything, but I just thought that one was such garbage I couldn't justify staying in the theater...

And to make a musical based on it??? Sounds like a pretty lousy idea to me - just some people trying to capitalize on something to try to make a buck...

I liked Interview with the Vampire, I haven't read much of her work besides that novel except for the Mummy book that she wrote. She is an okay writer. She doesnt't hold up to Stephen King though.