I'll add your fuel to the fire now
    Stand back, brother take your hand back
    Leave it and I might crack
    More than a smile or two you see
    Don't judge what you don't understand
    You can't deny what has been given to me

“What a disgusting racket.”

Adell resisted a smirk and rolled her eyes. “Just shut up.”

“This unit is being serious, how can you humans stand that sound you call music?”

Adell let a small chuckle escape her lips as she set her refreshment down. Two years…two years she has had to put up with X5-R1 ‘living’ in her body; keeping her alive.

“It’s all a matter of perspective, X5.” She explained mentally. She had learned over the last couple of years that it was not a grand idea to talk to ‘herself’ in a public place.

“A little like yourself?” Adell coughed, oh that hit a spot.

“What are you getting at?”

“You know perfectly well what this unit is getting at.” Adell fumed.

“Listen X5 I didn’t choose this!”

For once X5 went silent except for its ever present whir it processed when it was active. For a brief moment Adell was able to listen to the odd music. Its radical sound clashed through out the decorated restaurant. The room was romantically lit by beautiful golden candelabra’s and tall carven candles scattered the many round tables. This place sent Adell a comforted and cozy feeling.

“This unit believes you did choose this, you chose this when you joined that outcast organization and labeled yourself a renegade.”

It was Adell’s turn to shut up. She knew the stupid little droid was right, the worst part was, the droid itself knew it was right. Over two years of lectures from X5-R1, Adell knew she couldn’t deny it…it was her fault she was a cyborg.

She had led a perfectly normal life, up until the ambush. She was 23 when it happened; young and rebellious when she joined a small outcast organization. The group consisted of younger adults, her age, younger, or older. All were inexperienced in any form of combat; all skills came in persuasion, stealth, and computer & repair, and all members had some hatred against the Empire. The main objective of the group was to obtain information from other small organizations, which secretly held under cover Imperials, unknown to Adell’s rebel community.

There were nearly 20 castaways that made up the group and they all happened to be there at the warehouse, where our meetings were held, the day it happened. The day was weary; it rained and the deep rumble of thunder could be heard just outside the city. It was useless to go wandering around the city, sniffing up information; instead everyone showed up to help with newly arrived supplies. Most of the day went well; we were successful with unloading and organizing the supplies. Just as the day ended things began to go wrong, a few people were reckless and on edge; like something were wrong. As the thought reached Adell’s mind back then, they came. It was an ambush of the similar Imperial group, the ‘outcasts’ weren’t prepared for it. Before anyone could react to anything several people were dead, including Adell’s lover at the time. The sight made Adell turn to run out the open warehouse doors. She nearly escaped all the cross-fire around her but was caught in an unexpected explosion. After that all she could remember was the constant shouts of the injured and dying all around her.

Adell cringed visibly just revisiting the memory. The odd thing was when she came to she was in a medical/research lab on Thyferra; she was in a recovery tube and found out later she had been in a coma for nearly six months. At first the doctors were unsure if Adell would ever recover; parts of her brain were severely damaged from the explosion and without immediate medical she would be dead. The researchers of the lab, revealed secret information about a project that they had started many years back. It involved that in a case, like hers, where if the body was unable to function properly or was too damaged to function, the body would need a life support system of some sort. Many of those scientists thought that they would be able to keep a person in these circumstances alive if they were able to some how install a machine into the body that would serve as a replacement for the damaged or destroyed organs.

Since there was no alternate option, the scientists and doctors combined their research to test their theory. After endless days, they succeeded in installing a droid into Adell’s brain to stabilize her…and keep her from death. The droid’s central system is located within her brain, while different circuits were wrapped around her spinal cord and her arms. The droid was one of the newest models at the time, it’s ‘name’ was X5-R1. In order for the droid to be recharged and maintain its proper function, scientists were forced to make circular valves/outlets that were able to obtain the energy it needed to keep the droid functional.

With all this technology within her, there was nothing to show for it on the outside; except for three outlets. One at the base of Adell’s neck, usually covered by her long hair, and one in each of the undersides of her wrists, not as easy to cover up. It had taken the scientists a month to officially finish the project and Adell finally awoke floating in a bacta tank five months after the operation. Adell had no memory of the six months after the accident. She was forced to stay for a year after her recovery to be analyzed and observed. After what seemed an eternity Adell was finally released; she stayed for another year on Thyferra looking for work before she gave up and ended up here.

X5 whirled in her mind, bring her back to reality. She sighed heavily.

“I know, I know X5…” Adell whispered to the small nuisance of a droid. “It’s just…complicated.”

“This unit does not understand why you do not move on.”

Adell studied the dim candle in front of her with her bicolor eyes. “I’m trying, X5. That’s why I am here. To start over. I plan on making something of this new life. I sent a transmission and received a reply to come here fo-”

X5 interrupted. “This unit is already informed. You forget I can access your mind and your memory.” Adell could practically hear the amusement in X5-R1’s monotonous ‘voice. “…When will they arrive?”

Adell smiled a rare smile as she tapped a small folder that contained a brief history of her background and medical history, including her operation. Adell didn’t want to hide what she was anymore.

Adell spoke out loud…“Soon, my friend, soon.”

Lion El' Jonson
    A hand reached out and tapped Adell on the shoulder, while a voice tinged with faint amusement added:

"Sooner than you think, perhaps."

To her credit, Adell did not start at the sudden intrusion, and for a moment Lion was worried that he'd found the wrong person. All of the confusion, however, evaporated when he caught sight of the small sockets on either of her wrists. He smiled.

"Adell Mischa, I presume?" He asked, stepping in front of her. "My name is Lion El' Jonson..." he dropped his voice and sat down across from her "...Admiral, representing the Alliance to Restore the Republic."

He wore no military insignia, no uniform...with merely a pair of loose cargo pants and a t-shirt, he was nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the diners that evening. A little worse-dressed, perhaps, but otherwise he blended in. He would've been utterly forgettable if not for the fact that the bulge in his left pocket hinted at a concealed blaster pistol of considerable caliber...and given that he'd had to pass through two weapon-scanners just to get through the front door, that implied that he had some connections.

"So, ma'am, what can I do for you this evening? I'm authorized to undertake whatever I deem necessary during this...er, operation...so presumably that includes treating you to dinner on the Alliance's expense account."

Adell Mishca
    ”Charming human, isn’t he?" X5 chimed in. "This Lion El’ Jonson appears to be a witty human.”

Adell chuckled at both Lion and X5s’ comments; she tucked a stray strand of chocolate brown hair behind her ear as she waved away Lion’s last comment.

“No need, sir.” Adell grinned and reached for her beverage. “The pleasure is all mine.” With her free hand she motioned for the waiter. She scanned over Lion, he was a hard person to read, his attire would have never made Adell guess that he was an Admiral for the Rebellion.

”He does not look like much of an Admiral.”

”X5!” Adell almost laughed but contained herself to a simple grin. “Be nice. He may be able to help us start that new life I was talking about.” To her relief, X5-R1 left it at that; no complaints or smartass answers.

Adell hoped to distract herself from X5; she handed Lion her folder file. She hushed her voice and leaned a little farther over the table.

“I wish to join the Rebellion, as said in my transmission. All my medical files and childhood background is in that folder.” Adell would have explain further but finally their server had decided to come after all. She wasn’t hungry and she was treating the Admiral so she motioned for Lions’ order first. The waiter looked impatient as he turned toward Lion.

”Would you like something, sir? A drink? Dinner?”

Lion El' Jonson
    Lion grinned as he accepted the folder, placing it on his lap beneath the table, then turned towards the rather pompous waiter.

"If you know how to make a Corusca Spike, I'll take that. It's a rather obscure beverage; ask around and you'll find somebody that knows how to make it. Thanks." Lion turned back to Adell. The waiter walked away from the table, looking a bit miffed as to why Lion couldn't just tell him how to make the drink.

Adell appeared ready to ask the same thing, so he faced her and whispered conspiratorially "There's no such thing as a Corusca Spike." He winked and pulled out a small flask from one of his pockets, then took a swig.

"I hope you didn't want to order anything." He put the flask out of sight. "So, now that that particular annoyance is out of the way...I must say I'm intrigued, ma'am. The Alliance can use everybody we can get, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that joining us may place you in a considerable amount of danger. From the moment a holocam or some two-bit Imp clerk catches a glimpse of your face, you'll be marked as a traitor."

Lion's eyes tracked the waiter moving throughout the room, ping-ponging from table to table as he tried to figure out how to mix up an imaginary drink; Lion pulled Adell's medical files from under the table. He grinned as he scanned the contents of the folder, then whistled under his breath.

"Of course, if you're as quick or deadly as this indicates," he smacked the folder lightly on the table, "I doubt that anything that spots you will live long enough to report back."

He leaned closer, sporting a look of fascination. "So, you're hiding quite a secret, aren't you? I've worked with a couple of cyborgs in the past, but I've never met somebody with a droid implanted into them. That's just...wow."

Adell Mishca
    “This unit does not believe you expected that.”

X5 was right and Adell was taken aback by Lion’s statement. Nobody had been interested with her being what she was. In the past when someone found out about her, they would mostly accuse her as a monster and leave. Every rarely, on an occasion or two, someone may have even tried to kill her; saying ‘Freaks like you should be allowed to live’. A smile formed on Adell’s face, she was just glad Lion wasn’t one of those people.

“Well, I’m quite shocked that you are interested. I have had several bad experiences with those who don’t agree with what I am.” She felt herself relax, she felt that Lion would try to understand her.

“Yes, I’ve been hiding what I am for nearly two years now. I find it very difficult to explain these…” She twisted her forearms upward to reveal the power sockets in her wrists. “I have a similar one at the base of my neck.”

She said this with a smirk. “Those select few people who find out don’t realize that I need X5 to live. That’s my biggest weakness, I can’t function with out it…as annoying as it may be. I could defiantly live without its smart comments.”

“Do you think this unit is really that bad?” X5 seemed surprised or maybe even hurt. Adell cracked up into a fit of small chuckles, which seemed to confuse Lion. She smiled brightly.

“X5 has a mind of its own. No worries though, it can never take full control of my body or my actions. Except…” Adell grew serious. “having this droid in attached to my brain and nervous system, I am gifted with faster reflexes and very advanced Computer skills. And for that I am very grateful.”

She stared off across the restaurant with her mismatched eyes, absentmindedly tracing the socket in her left wrist.

Lion El' Jonson
    Lion sat back in his chair, grinning even wider.

"I come from the planet Caliban, a huge tropical planet located between the Inner and Outer Rims. Today we're primarily known for being the headquarters of my family's company, TransCal, one of the "big four" shipping companies, but apparently thousands of years ago Caliban was one of the great battlegrounds during the Great Hyperspace Wars between the Old Republic and the Sith." He paused for a second, grabbing a water off of a passing server-droid.

"At that time, the Old Republic was stretched to the breaking point, so Caliban was forced to organize its own armies. The Sith and the Caliban Defense Forces warred for months, and thousands of warriors perished every day. It was clear that it was only a matter of time before Caliban fell to the Sith...but then, a team of scientists made a discovery that changed the course of the war. They found a way to entomb critically-wounded soldiers within immense suits of powered-armor, enabling these veterans to return to the battlefield with ten times the firepower they'd had before."

He took a sip of water before he continued. "These Titans put the Sith on the defensive, eventually forcing them completely from the planet. Somehow throughout that epic campaign to retake Caliban, the suits themselves became self-aware. The bundles of artificial nerve began mimicking organic material, the hydraulic systems began functioning like real muscles...the man inside and the suit essentially became one...or that's how the legends go, anyways. If you grow up hearing stories like that, I don't think there's anything left to faze you." He laughed shortly, then returned to more pressing matters.

"Your abilities...and those of X-5..." he added, grinning, "are completely welcome in the Rebellion. The Alliance was founded on the basis of different peoples coming together to fight for a common ideal, and in that way you're the same as me; you just happen to display a couple of those qualities on the outside." He stopped again to take another sip of water. "I suppose there's just the question of which branch of the service you'd like to be in. The Fleet could definitely benefit from your reflexes and data-retrieval skills, but you don't seem like the type of person that'd be happy flying a desk."

Adell Mishca
    “No.” Adell said with amusement. “Paperwork isn’t really my forte. Although I don’t know about my little friend up here.” She tapped her temple softly.

She could tell that Lion had experience in combat and she could tell he was wise. His knowledge about his home planets history was admirable and his ability to read her was too. He would be the right person to talk to for a good lecture or in order to get a brief background for an assignment of some sort.

“You are an impossible woman, do you know that?”

“Oh, shut up X5.”

“But…I have very limited experience in any form of combat. I mean, I can use a blaster and a blade. Except, I can’t aim worth frack and my stances in melee combat are pretty iffy. My hand-to-hand isn’t too shabby, I can spar off against someone and win easily. All my skill so far in my young life has revolved around my intelligence and my ability to receive private information that only oneself would know. For example…”

Adell’s eye’s left Lion and scanned the room to find the perfect specimen. A small smirk grew as she spotted a younger looking couple off in the far corner of the restaurant.

“X5, please give me a personal analysis of that couple in the far corner.”

She turned back to Lion and grinned.

“See the couple in the corner there?” She followed up her question by making a small gesture toward the two young adults. “Right now, I can tell you both those two peoples; height, weight, age, first name, eye and hair color, and i usually can tell if they are carrying any weapon or electronic device of some sort…and also what their after-dinner plans are, although I don’t think it takes a droid to know what their plans are.”

Lion El' Jonson
    For the first time in quite a long time, Lion was speechless.

"Wow" he finally managed. He sat back into his chair, thinking for a second. Then, seemingly to the air, he called out "Shill, Rapapor."

Two men sitting at seperate tables turned from their meals and walked over to Lion without missing a beat. "Sir?" asked one of them, clearly struggling to keep from saluting his superior officer and breaking cover.

Lion grinned apologetically. "These are my bodyguards: Major Shen Rapapor and Lieutenant Arai Shill, both detached from Alliance Special Operations. They insisted on coming, my apologies."

Lion stopped for a second, considering Adell carefully. "Your skills are more valuable to the Alliance than a company of groundpounders or a squadron of X-Wings." He paused, thinking. "Okay, maybe not Rogue Squadron, but anybody else." he joked. "I'm not worried about your aim or your combat stance, those are things that can be learned. Alliance SpecOps is just the kind of force that could benefit from your unique qualities, and I for one think that you would fit in well there. Interested?"

Adell Mishca
    A smirk formed at the corner of Adell’s mouth as Lion called his bodyguards to him. She should have known these men were under Lion’s command. Seeing the two struggle not to show the proper respect to a superior officer, made her smile suddenly.

“Lovely looking men aren’t they?”

Adell couldn’t help but snicker loudly and by the looks of it confusing both Mr. Shill and Mr. Rapaport at the same time. That was one disadvantage to having X5 continually making conjectures and smart or rude comments mentally; no one would here besides Adell. Thus making her seem a bit odd when she makes something appear funny that really was not.

She smiled sweetly at the two men accompanying; almost laughing again at the way they looked at her just then. Otherwise, she listened contently to what Lion had to say about her ‘unique’ qualities.

Alliance SpecOps is just the kind of force that could benefit from your unique qualities, and I for one think that you would fit in well there. Interested?"

X5 whirred in her head at the offer. Apparently, he wanted Adell to start over as well.

She grinned shallowly. “I’m more interested than you know, Mr. El’ Jonson.”

Lion El' Jonson
    Lion cackled. "Excellent. I brought my two bodyguards over here to testify as to how your skills could benefit the Rebellion."

Once again, the men looked confused. Once again, Rapapor uttered "Sir?"

Lion sighed. "Tell us about that information raid we conducted on Ukai IV three weeks ago."

"But, sir...you know all about that raid. You...you devised it." Shill answered, raising an eyebrow.

Lion repeatedly banged his forehead lightly against the table. "I know that. Tell her." he said, pointing at Adell. Shill hesitated. "But, sir...she's a civilian..."

Lion laughed. "Indeed, she is, but start talking now or she might become your new commanding officer."

Shill sighed. "We needed to gather information from the Imperial Ubiqtorate Outpost on Ukai IV regarding whether or not they had any reports of Rebel Fleet elements after we splintered in a dozen directions following the Battle of Endor. The mission went off without a hitch, except..." he trailed off, looking unhappy.

Lion, on the other hand, was grinning widely now. "Except what, Lieutenant Shill?"

Shill looked even more unhappy than before. "...Except for the fact that, while we were bossing around the Imp techies and hackers, we failed to consider that one of them might've been an Imperial Intelligence plant, there to ensure that nothing fell into enemy hands. That guy pulled out a custom thermal detonator: killed five Imps and one of our own boys, and took a fairly good-sized chunk out of the local memory cluster. I suppose we were extremely lucky that none of the data we needed was damaged...and that the stupid fool apparently didn't know about the self-destruct system already in place."

Lion was still smiling. "Now...Major Rapapor, Lieutenant Shill: would having a member on the assault team capable of identifying that thermal detonator, and performing data retrieval, and interfacing with millions of different computers and vehicles have been beneficial to the raid?" He threw a significant look at Adell, still smiling.

Shill nodded. Rapapor added "It'd be like having a couple of droids along."

Lion laughed at that point, clearly confusing his two poor bodyguards. "You speak truer words than you know. Major Rapapor, Lieutenant Shill...this is Adell Mishca, who may be the latest member to join your unit if she'll accept my offer."

He turned to Adell. "To you, Adell, I offer you a commission into the Rebel Alliance Armed Forces under the Special Operations branch, at the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. You'll be given a pay-grade equivalent to your rank, along with free housing wherever you're assigned...if you join Major Rapapor's squad, that'd be aboard my flagship, the MC-80a Avatar. You'd recieve officer's quarters given your rank, along with three meals a day, all of which are generally edible and occasionally tasty." He paused to take a deep breath. "In return, the Alliance expects you to fulfill your duties and follow ethical orders within reason. I'll ask our rangemaster about training you in proper weapon usage." He grinned, looking up at Adell. "I don't need you to decide now, but I'd prefer a yes-or-no answer. Maybe's always get me stressed out."

Adell Mishca
    Taking a slow deep breath, Adell contemplated the decision she was about to make. There was still time to turn back if she truly wanted to, but where would she go? What would she do? What would happen to her if she didn’t take this opportunity? If she did accept this, there would be so much more she could look forward to. A job and an opportunity to start a new and improved life. To fight for something she believed in, although not all her hatred for the Empire revolved around revenge; personally Adell didn’t agree with Imperial customs anyway.

An extremely noisy internal whirl came from X5. Judging by the electrical buzz that was sent through her brain, X5 must have tapped into her thoughts.

“X5, are you with me on this?” Even though it was her body he ‘lived’ in, Adell felt obligated to ask.

A longer whir tickled her brain.

“This unit does not make your decisions for you. Nonetheless, this unit believes this way is the best for you. After all, this El’ Jonson and his two henchmen seem to be trustworthy fellows.”

Times like these, when X5 and Adell didn’t argue, had to be savored. Most of time the two of them got along pretty well but then there were times when the two of them would bicker like little children. Although there were the occasional times when the two of them actually would look out for each other; the two of them had more a of a sibling relationship, even though X5 was a droid and Adell a human.

“Well Mr. El’ Jonson…” Adell held out her right hand towards Lion; power outlets in her wrists in plain view to both Rapapor and Shill. “Adell Mishca and X5-R1 of the Indala models, are at your service.”

Lion El' Jonson
    Lion smiled widely, taking her hand.

"Lieutenant Adell Mishca and X5-R1, it is my very sincere pleasure to welcome both of you into the Alliance to Restore the Republic. The fight ahead of you, ahead of all of us, will not be easy, but we will not falter because we cannot afford to fail. You're made the right choice, my friends."

Rapapor and Shill both grunted their approval of her choice, the closest they'd come to actual conversation so far. Their eyes glanced at the sockets on her wrists before jumping back to her face, neither of the men displaying the slightest hint of surprise.

"Your first assignment, Lieutenant, is to rendezvous with the Avatar. She's currently waiting on the outskirts of this system for an X-wing reconnaissance flight to return from a surveillance mission of the local Imperial Sector Command. Unless you have your own ship, my shuttle is docked at the spaceport in Berth 19-C awaiting my return; you're welcome to come along."

Adell Mishca
    “I think I will take you up on that offer, Lion. It was a pure miracle I even got here without a ship.”

Grabbing her short leather jacket of the back of her chair, Adell stood up. She had some things she needed to get from a nearby apartment she had stayed in the past few nights. Tipped her head at the two bodyguards as she pulled on her jacket. Turning back to Lion, she grinned toothily…

“Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Shill and Rapapor. Lion, if you don’t mind I need to collect my belongings before I depart with you.”

Lion El' Jonson
    Lion grinned and nodded as well.

"No problem, Lieutenant. Recon Flight isn't scheduled to return for another 5 hours, so we've got a bit of downtime scheduled in. Will that be sufficient?"