Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman Returns (Theatrical Trailer Online!)

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Originally posted by JMK
    Then they couldn't call it Superman. The guy is an icon, you just don't take a guy like that and completely blow the mythos of it out of the water just because he 'doesn't look cool.'
    I love you.

JMK
    Uhhhh......thanks?

I think they should have tried revamping his costume to something totaly different, and throw out the tights for goodness sake.
    They did that in the Superman comics back in the 90s. I never read them, but I believe the results were ... not so good.

(maybe someone who has a better knowledge of the comics can explain better)

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    are you referring to the Red and Blue Superman?

Because I remember that and aye, not so good. I could be wrong tho

Red and blue Superman was lame beyond words. He didn't even look right after Doomsday and all they did was give him long hair. I agree, you can't mess with that costume. You can play around with the colors a bit and the size of the shield, but in the end it still has to be a guy in tights. It's friggin' SUPERMAN, not Batman: The Story of the Next Batsuit. Batman can get away with that, not Supes.

Red and blue Superman was lame beyond words.
    I think that's what I was thinking of, but again I don't know the comics at all.

What actually happened? I remember Supes was killed off in the early 90s (1993?) but then brought back - was this Red and Blue thing then?

I just remember watching on the news about a decade or so ago about how Superman had another costume, and i saw it (no cape or anything) and I thought it sucked.

My DC memory is a bit hazy, but I was collecting Batman around that time and I read the occasional Superman title. After Doomsday "killed" Superman he came back with the same costume, but long hair. Later on there was some storyline about Superman not being able to contain his energy. Thus he needed a suit built that would help him contain his essense. I don't even remember which came first, the blue or the red, but it was pretty damn stupid. But such is life in BOTH the DC and Marvel worlds. They're comics; infinite universes, clones, people coming back from the dead over and over, these things come with the territory.

JMK
    Wasn't there also 4 different Supermen at one point? I remember they really sent the whole thing to the dump after the Doomsday thing.

That was during the Return of Superman storyline. One was a clone Superboy, the other was the Eradicator, Steel (please forget the Shaq movie) was just a guy in a suit and a sledge hammer, and the 4th was a cyborg. After everything was settled it turned out Superman hadn't completely died during his battle with Doomsday, his body had just completely drained itself of its stored solar energy. At least that's how I remember it and by the end of it, Supes was back with long hair.

Akrabbim
    Yeah... then he became the Man of Energy. His powers were... well, odd then. I never was sure what he could do at that point. And how'd he split in two? And how'd he come back together?

Wow, I just found this mammoth post regarding the whole history of attempting to bring Superman 5 to the screen. I'm barely half way through it but it's been an interesting read so far:

Superman V: The Whole Sordid Saga

(I don't know whether or not it leads into Superman Returns - I haven't gotten that far yet)

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, I've read that and it's one of the reasons I'm so happy about the direction in which this movie is going in. The direction it was going in years ago doesn't even bear to think about. They would've done for Superman what that idiot Joel Schumacher did for Batman.

JMK
    They would've done for Superman what that idiot Joel Schumacher did for Batman.
    That's about all I need to read. What a travesty that would have been.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Lemkin’s draft had Superman dying in battle with Doomsday, but managing to impregnate Lois as he’s dying by way of Immaculate Conception. Lois is killed off later in the story, but not before giving birth to a baby who grows 21 years in three weeks’ time, and takes over as the new Superman and saves the universe from Armageddon.

Poirier’s script had an angst-ridden Superman visiting a shrink in order to deal with his feelings of being an outsider and a freak by virtue of his alien heritage, ditching his red and blues for a black suit, using Kryptonian martial arts, and being killed by a Doomsday who bled kryptonite, Brainiac, the Silver Banshee, and the Parasite.

Burton hated the flying FX in the 1978 film, too, so he didn’t want Superman to fly. Instead, he put Superman in a Supermobile. (Seven years later, AICN revealed that Burton and Peters had also planned on having Superman teleport from place to place in lieu of flying.) He also hated the classic costume, too, hence the oddball designs he proffered in its place, all of which would have featured silver-relief versions of the ElectroSupes S-shield and armored, treaded boots similar in design to what Michael Keaton wore as Batman:

1. A partially translucent suit that would allow full view of Superman’s internal organs, as reported by Cinescape in late 1997 as Burton’s plans for the film kicked into high gear. (Although word from within the Burton camp confirmed that Burton was indeed hoping to do this, the design was apparently never committed to paper—leaving some people following the project wondering if Burton was really going to use the translucent suit or if it was just a hoax. Nevertheless, Burton’s diehard fans adored the idea, praising it as total genius and the height of coolness. Superman fans, on the other hand, were left scratching their heads over it.)
    2. An all-black, alien-looking suit that would have resembled a "cool cross" between Edward Scissorhands, the WB movie Batman, and a Borg. (At one point, this was what Burton’s Superman would have started the film off in.)
    3. A metallic silver healing suit/body armor with details that would have made Superman’s body look robotic. (An action figure prototype of Nic Cage as Superman wearing body armor was made, but it looked nothing like the design as described and featured the usual red/blue/gold Superman color scheme.)
    4. An all-dark blue suit with a "blood-red" cape. (This would have been the standard Superman suit used in subsequent films.)

1. Krypton doesn’t explode. Instead it’s a Naboo rip-off overrun by robot soldiers, walking war machines, and civil war (can you say, Star Wars: Episode I?). Jor-El is literally the king of Krypton and leader of the Kryptonian Senate (thus Superman is a prince), and he and Lara send Kal-El to Earth because he is "the One" whom a prophecy states will save Krypton from destruction (rip-off of The Matrix). The villains, Jor-El’s evil brother and nephew Kata-Zor and Ty-Zor, take Jor-El prisoner and send probe pods out to find and kill the baby Kal-El. 14 years later, Lara and her shell-less turtle servant Taga (shades of Jar Jar Binks) are found by Ty-Zor, and Lara gets tortured to death.
    2. Superman’s costume is a living entity housed in a can, and it climbs onto him when he needs it. He first discovers it in a closet when he’s 14 (Jor-El visited Earth and picked the Kents out to be Kal-El’s new parents, leaving them his picture, some S-shield metal pieces signifying the virtues Kal-El must represent, and the costume), and the costume rips his clothes off and stuffs him into itself. So teen Clark is flying around in a suit that’s way too big for him.
    3. Lex Luthor is an evil CIA agent obsessed with UFO phenomena. When Superman reveals himself to the world, Luthor demands that the government allow him to hunt Superman down and kill him. The government refuses, so Luthor allies himself with the evil Kryptonians out to kill Kal-El…because Luthor himself is an evil Kryptonian, working undercover as a human to set up an invasion of Earth!
    4. All the Kryptonians get into airborne kung-fu fights straight out of The Matrix. Even Luthor gets in on the act at the end of the script.
    5. An aerial kung-fu fight between Superman and Ty-Zor results in Superman being lured into a trap: Lois is drowning in a tank filled with kryptonite. (This begs the question of how there can be kryptonite when Krypton didn’t even explode, but….) Superman is given a choice: save her and die from radiation poisoning in the act, or stand by and watch her drown. So he goes in, saves her, and dies. Jor-El magically senses Superman’s death from across the galaxy, commits hara-kiri with a rock he sharpens in his prison cell, goes to Heaven, and talks Superman into coming back to life so he can fulfill the prophecy of saving Krypton from its civil war. So Superman’s soul returns to his body, and he proceeds to trash Ty-Zor and his cronies. And at the end of the film, Superman flies off in a rocket to save Krypton (which is where the second film is planned to take place).
    6. A dialogue scene at The Daily Planet implies that Jimmy Olsen—a horny skirt-chaser in the comic books—is gay, as Abrams describes him as "effeminate" and Perry White rags on him for having a boyfriend.
    There's just a few choice quotes from the above link. I remember reading this about a year ago and having nightmates of the death of Superman as a popular culture icon.

jjwr
    Thats just scary to read, I can 't believe how out of touch all of those people are and actually thinking their lame idea's would make money.

Does anyone know what happened exactly to bridge the gap between the end of that and WB finally deciding to ditch Abrams and go with Singer and his writers?

JMK
    No kidding. What on earth were they thinking?

Why doesn't someone do a remake of Passion of the Christ, but instead, have him played by Vin Diesel and add in a lot of guns and explosions. Ridiculous ideas all around.

Originally posted by JMK

Why doesn't someone do a remake of Passion of the Christ, but instead, have him played by Vin Diesel and add in a lot of guns and explosions. Ridiculous ideas all around.

Kevin Smith was attached to the project at one time, wasn't he? I heard he started having second thoughts when the studio kept telling him to work Krypto the Superdog into the movie. Have these people no shame?

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Originally posted by JMK

Hey, that might be an improvement

Darth McBain
    It's a bird... It's a plane... It's a snake???

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment...tainment.films

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast