Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ysalimiri

Akrabbim

Ysalimiri

Do we have these little buggers or not? I've heard from some of the mods that we don't, but I've heard that there are RPs with them existing. Which is it?

TheHolo.Net Poster

This is not the Empress you're looking for

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Dani
    to clear this up... made a post in the admin forum to get an answer once and for all

SW-Fans.Net Poster

RAAAAUURRR!!!

AKA
    Holly
    I've never heard that we don't use them here.

TheHolo.Net Poster

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Dani
    The confusion stemmed from having bushles of the critters roaming around previously. In the end, having them around will probably just be on a limited basis.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    What mod told you that we didn't have them?? O_o

Its not something that's been regulated in any way in the past, AFAIK. Only, it is something that could be considered godmoding (like if your character has like fifty yslamiri in their basement, or suddenly pulls one out of a backpack.)

The nutrient frames (necessary for transporting the furry salamanders/sloth ysalamiri) in our current galaxy would be the very heavy, bulky frames that we first read about in the Thrawn Trilogy. in the old Swfans some had surmised that technology had progressed to the point that the frames were made smaller and more portable, but there is no reason at all to RP like this in our new timeline.

TheHolo.Net Poster

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Dani
    What mod told you that we didn't have them??
    Me based upon talking to another mod

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Oh.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I wouldn't say there's any point in being rid of them. How many people in recent memory have any of us seen abusing their existence? We should never try to restrict any aspects of roleplaying unneccessarily but rather should deal with these things on a case by case basis since they are so rare.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

There was a time here when everyone was claiming to walk around with Ysalamiri on them and yes, it was out of hand.

Please remember that they are very rare and very difficult to take care of. Also, since we aren't acknowledging the Thrawn trilogy here (our galaxy takes place before it), then it's quite possible that few people would even know they exist in the first place.

Basically, if you want to use one make it realistic, and if you have a question, PM or IM a moderator to find out.

Sorsha Kasajian
    Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
    There was a time here when everyone was claiming to walk around with Ysalamiri on them and yes, it was out of hand.

Please remember that they are very rare and very difficult to take care of. Also, since we aren't acknowledging the Thrawn trilogy here (our galaxy takes place before it), then it's quite possible that few people would even know they exist in the first place.

Basically, if you want to use one make it realistic, and if you have a question, PM or IM a moderator to find out.
    It never stopped me from splutting the little peskies, but what lolly said is right.

Akrabbim
    Thanks. I appreciate it. That helps me a lot.

Drin Kizael
    Do we need a similar ruling on cortosis ore?

Zahn had established that it was incredibly brittle and useless for refining. Yet the comics, RPers/fanfic, and I believe some video games invented the concept of lining something with cortosis

The prequels did establish that force-field and custom energy melee weapons can be capable of parrying a lightsabre. So I'm hoping that's enough justification to return cortosis ore to the way it was originally intended.

Akrabbim
    Well, also, cortosis was just Lightsaber resistant. It wouldn't shut down a saber, just resist it.

And since we're on the topic of stuff that'll stand up to a saber, are my katanas still allowed? They're saber-proof, and basically indestructible, but that's it. They're razor-sharp, but they're not gonna be cutting through a durasteel door unless I have a few weeks to whack at 'em. They still kosher?

Drin Kizael
    Personally I'd like to see some kind of technical explanation put into a weapon of that type. In my tabletop RPG, I made a bounty hunter with magnetic shielded blades for dealing with Jedi. Ironically he was killed by a resourceful (read: knack of half-baked plans somehow working out) smuggler, but I digress.

Episode 3 had a weapon that looked like a plain old pike, but the flashing tips was all the justification I needed to buy parrying a lightsaber.

If it's just the metal, then people will want everything to be made out of it. No matter how much you try to justify it, someone else -will- find it and mass produce it... or create drama for the mods by asking for it as well.

But a custom-fit force field generator would be a nice (albeit highly illegal, insanely expensive, and possibly hard to repair) addition to a Jedi-hunter's weapon arsenal.

Akrabbim
    Well, the stuff I used was basically remnants of quantum metal which took several days of concentrated effort to forge into a sword. I did the same for the second sword I made later. It seemed to work. No one exploited it.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

AKA
    Charley
    Just use Phrik alloy, since the Sun Crusher hasn't really been discovered at this point.

Akrabbim
    Works for me. I'll just use the same backstory for having them.

Drin Kizael
    Both make sense to me. I'd make it a month to forge, but only because that's how long it takes to make a lightsaber properly. IRL, fine swords take months (plural) to make as well.

Akrabbim
    Made them before. I'm assuming that, since we can keep our ranks after the reset, we can keep our weaponry.

And, according to "I, Jedi", a lightsaber takes FAR less than a month to make. Around a day or so, if memory serves.

Daiquiri
    I had read that it takes several days to a month to make a lightsaber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast