Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith. Episode III Box Office Thread

jjwr
    Well the first 3 records listed are done, fastest to $100 Million isn't going to happen, it would need 2 days and thats unheard of at this point. I'm guessing about 38-42 Million for Friday which puts it very close but not quite.

Largest weeked probably won't happen either, it should have the largest 3 day but it won't be 3 weekend days, largest 4 days is almost a lock after the 50M opening.

Fastest to 200M will be tough without a holiday weekend to bank off of, fastest to 300M could happen with half of it coming this weekend and another huge chunk next weekend.

The key to 400M or 500M will be how it does in weekend 3 and beyond, thats when the competition starts.

That is just unbelievable I was thinking maybe 45 but 50 not in my wildest imaginations. And it is a Thursday which makes it more amazing. Can it duplicate this on Saturday??? And I agree 4 day is toast, should make 140-160 for the 4 days, 3 day is iff, should get past 100 but 114 isn't going to be easy, maybe like 105-110.

Cat Terrist
    50 million... on a weekday.

Good God. That's.... incredible. No one's goign to be able to predict this thing right now.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
    I am tempted to say, if it drops 75% next week, I will eat my hat. But since I dont have any hat, I will wear the avatar of Jar Jar instead throughout the summer.
    Done!

If it beats Titanic I will dance a jig and gladly write a short story where Vader lands on the Titanic and kills Jack and Rose.

I wouldn't think it has a greater than 5% chance to take down the big boat.

Yeah it be tough, I think 500 million is the tops it could do.

I can't see how it could possibly reach 600M. A few years from now it would have had a chance because of inflation, but not right now. I just wonder how big the 3-D release will be a few years from now. ROTS may just need to get a bit north of $500M to have a shot at the boat one day.

Dutchy
    $35.5M estimated for Friday.

Can't wait to see how big Saturday was. It could easily be over $45. Both Spidey and AOTC had their biggest days on Saturday. TPM had its second biggest day on its opening Saturday.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Yeah, the drop is not so bad concidering it was following the single highest gross on a day in box office history. The friday number is tracking way ahead of the previous prequels. Saturday should be great

jjwr
    35.5 on Friday is great, thats a 80m+ opening for your typical movie, for this it should hit 45M on Saturday which would give it a chance at the 3 day record and the 4 day mark is as good as gone.

Dutchy
    Estimates:

$40.9M for Saturday
    108.5M for the 3-day weekend
    158.5M for the 4-day weekend

Mojo's day by day estimates:
    Thurs. 50.0
    Fri. 33.8
    Sat. 40.9
    Sun. 33.8

I just got back from a 1:30 show with my son and a friend of his. The place was packed. The only available seats were the front row. I expected a higher Sat. gross but that's still more than respectable. I think it's pretty obvious these numbers will change during the week. I think it's a stretch that both Fri. and Sat. will have practically the same gross. I'm just hoping that when the final numbers come in a couple of those days go up.

Cat Terrist
    If you think about it, ROTS would have had almost a clean shot at every theatre, who would have wanted to see anything else on Thursday? Plus, the amount of midnight screeners really helped boost the total. What your really seeing is that ROTS has hit the real limit of the availible screenings and really could not make any more. More than 40 million is such a difficult thing to do, you need so many theatres and showings.

158 million fouy day is insanely huge. Hell, 108 three day is insane. No one got close to predicting it.

Carr and I were close. I had $112 and $154, and Carr had $110 and $154. What none of us saw coming was that $50M Thursday. Those final numbers and next week's hold will be crucial. I wonder what the international numbers look like. I haven't checked any of them out.

jjwr
    boxofficemojo is saying 302m Worldwide for the weekend, not sure if that includes all 4 days of the US release or not, either way its at least a 140M weekend worldwide which is huge as well.

Great numbers! Had Lucas wanted it he could have easily set a 3 day record but at least 4 day gives more people the chance to see it. Now the real question is next weekend, with another 4 day weekend this thing could be closing in on 300M by the end of next weekend.

I was looking at Guru and they had the number of prints, which I hadn't seen before. ROTS had over 9,400 prints compared to the 6,000 that AOTC had. I think it'll have a great shot at 300M by next weekend. The 4 day weekend and good word of mouth should help. But I think it's going to face some really tough competition in Mad and TLY. I know I want to see TLY, the original as well. I haven't seen it in ages.

The final numbers are in:
    Friday
    $33,529,613
    Saturday
    $40,693,760
    Sunday
    $34,212,468

Total so far
    $158,449,700

Friday and Saturday went down a bit, but Sunday went up so it still managed to hit 158. Huge start. Now we have to see how it weathers the competition. Of course, if the numbers tumble we know it's all just part of a vast B.O. conspiracy.

Cat Terrist
    Jedi3187!
    Jedi3187!
    Jedi3187!

3167 actually....

Amazing how we remember that clown so well after six years.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast