Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith on ROTS and Other Reviews

JediBoricua

Kevin Smith on ROTS

You've probably read this already, but to those who haven't here it is. This was posted on the ViewAskew (sp?) Forum by Kevin Smith himself.

I only read the first and last line and all I have to say is:

KS Review Here (Lotsa cursing there)

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I'm not reading the spoilers, but you need to edit out the bad words into good ones like "lollipops." Setting off the swear filter has always been a no-no here.

JMK
    Bad boy Boricua!

I saw that review on his website but decided not to post it here because it's just too much. I read 2 spoilers deep and decided to run away. But if that's not a ringing endorsement for the movie, then I don't know what is.

I read that yesterday as well. Good stuff. Are we finally going to get a movie that will have miniscule B&M'ing afterwards? I think so, I really do.

JMK
    God do I feel ignorant, but what the hell is B&M? Does it rhyme with itching & moaning?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Complaining and moaning, but with a B.

ANd I read that the other day as well... the Force was flowing, let me tell ya.

Darth McBain
    Yeah, that's my theory...

I read that earlier - I finally succumbed to the Dark Side and have been reading spoilers. His review is very positive for an awesome Ep. III. We already knew it was gonna rock, but it's good to see an official review saying so...

JediBoricua
    Sorry 'bout all the swearing.

I'll just post a link to the review (It's from AICN, so be wary).

JediBoricua
    Anogther glowing review, this one from an Australian Paper.

Edited for Spoilers

This star shines: excellent end to an epic

By MICHAEL BODEY

May 5, 2005

GEORGE Lucas has rewarded those who kept with the force for almost 30 years with a barnstorming conclusion to his Star Wars saga.

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith faithfully combines some of Lucas's trademark shortcomings as a director with astonishing digital effects, a terrific last few reels and wonderful light-sabre rattling.

Revenge of the Sith, the third of the modern prequels to 1977's Star Wars, ditches the petty politicking and tedious back stories that made Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace so laborious.

It opens with EDITED emphasises just how advanced film technology has become – the colours are vivid and the detail is so minute they're almost wasted.

A new villain is introduced, a wheezing Terminator-type, General Grievous, while Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) reintroduces the bread roll hair bun, showing how Revenge of the Sith maintains a sense of history while keeping it fresh for the kids. Nevertheless, the early battle scenes and sub plots are almost too much to consume.

It's all mildly irrelevant any way, as we know this film has one task – to transform Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) into Darth Vader, the man Obi-Wan Kenobi described in Return of the Jedi as "more machine than man, twisted and evil".

Lucas ensures the film is both twisted and evil, creating a quandary for some parents. The violence is heightened, both explicitly, EDITED , and implicitly in one chilling scene showing just how low Jedi Anakin will stoop. I'd be reticent to take any child under 10.

They won't understand the essence of why the film really heats up, when Anakin kills and betrays.

Without spoiling it, he has authority and revenge issues. He also has designs, fuelled by the mischievous Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) on ruling the galaxy.

The weight of the series, and some good plotting, mean this crucial development works, despite Christensen.

While he and Portman work far better together in this film, Christensen is cheesy when it matters. You'd blame the director but Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan) and McDiarmid deliver strong, individual performances. And you can throw in Yoda, who's at his feisty, entertaining best.

The last 45 minutes of this film is enough to forgive Lucas's prior misdemeanours. It's angry, fiery and occasionally brilliant.

Australian actors involved in the film might not be so happy though. Only Bruce Spence (as Tion Medon) has meaningful dialogue, thus completing his honour of acting in the Mad Max, Matrix, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogies.

Other Aussies spotted include Graeme Blundell, Trisha Noble and Joel Edgerton.

The Aussie crew has reason to be proud. The sets are terrific and technically, it's hard to fault anything other than occasional lapses in continuity.

JMK
    Originally posted by JediBoricua
    Anogther glowing review, this one from an Australian Paper.

Edited for Spoilers
    The last 45 minutes of this film is enough to forgive Lucas's prior misdemeanours. It's angry, fiery and occasionally brilliant.
    That may be the highest praise yet, because as far as I'm concerned Lucas is going to have to achieve a helluvalot with RotS in order to shut up the detractors of TPM and AotC. So far from all indications, he's done that.

JMK
    There's four new reviews up at theforce.net.

While all are positive and confirm that RotS is indeed the best of the prequels, they are reviewed by Star Wars fans and may temper your enthusiasm and optimism a bit. So far I think we've been led to believe that this will be a perfect movie in every way, but after reading the reviews, some of Lucas' old habits are still with him, namely awkward pacing, some strange editing, cheesy acting, and things happening way to fast to be believed as a natural progression of things.

Oh well. I still can't wait!

Darth McBain
    Originally posted by JMK
    There's four new reviews up at theforce.net.

While all are positive and confirm that RotS is indeed the best of the prequels, they are reviewed by Star Wars fans and may temper your enthusiasm and optimism a bit. So far I think we've been led to believe that this will be a perfect movie in every way, but after reading the reviews, some of Lucas' old habits are still with him, namely awkward pacing, some strange editing, cheesy acting, and things happening way to fast to be believed as a natural progression of things.

Oh well. I still can't wait!
    I don't think any of the movies are "perfect" -- the flaws haven't dampened my feelings for them - some of the "flaws" are what makes them endearing... I'm sure with ROTS there will be things that we don't love - there will probably be a few "groaners" in there, but overall I think it's gonna be a great show and a terrific end to the saga...

David Poland of thehotbutton.com also has a blog these days(which he writes in way more). He put this review up yesterday.

http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/a...th_are_ba.html

Cool, also Variety has its review up and it is glowing

http://www.variety.com/VE1117927015.html

That is a great review, I don't McCarthy loved the other two as much as he did this one.
    Also I am going to edit the title to Kevin Smith and other reviews to try to keep all the reviews in one thread for now.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Reviews are starting to show up on rotten tomatoes. 100% fresh so far

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Originally posted by JMK
    ... some of Lucas' old habits are still with him, namely awkward pacing, some strange editing, cheesy acting, and things happening way to fast to be believed as a natural progression of things.

It wouldn't be a Star Wars film without such things.

JediBoricua
    Two more glowing reviews, edited for spoilers as well (I love the No Spoiler Forum at TF.net)

From mixedreviews.net:

While it's safe to say that STAR WARS, EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH will not be in competition for the Best Film Oscar next year, the story might be different if there were a category for Most Improved. For surely under that criteria, it would win in a walk. Its two predecessors in the Star Wars canon -- the dreary and dour Phantom Menace and the incoherent Attack of the Clones -- not only disappointed fans and confused casual audiences, but also sullied memories of the original 1970's trilogy, diluting the saga of the Skywalker clan and their imaginative universe. For many, the newest efforts by George Lucas can still be summed up in one phrase: Jar Jar Binks.

Which will make the experience of the final film in the series, REVENGE OF THE SITH, an unexpectedly sweet pleasure. A dark and gripping slice of space opera, it successfully avoids the pitfalls of its predecessors with a dense but cohesive narrative, strong character development, and a grand, epic struggle between the forces of good and evil. The Star Wars-ian mythology is expanded in careful detail, with new additions to the legends as it comes to its conclusion.

Perhaps most importantly, director/screenwriter Lucas finds surprising and satisfying ways to connect this generation's characters (Anakin, Padme, et al) to the next (Luke, Leia), even as the modern triptych completes the circle back to where it all began: long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

REVENGE OF THE SITH is, ultimately, about the transforming fall from grace of Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), a particularly talented Jedi Knight who, through a combination of ambition and circumstance, feels a strong pull towards the Dark Side of the Force. The pull towards his new bride, Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), is even stronger; it threatens both his relationship with the Jedi Council and his bond with mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). Confused and restless, Anakin takes some solace in the eerie comfort of Senator Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid), a politician with an agenda of his own; the war that has rocked the Republic is coming to a close, and a new order is coming...one that presages the Empire of Darth Vader and its diabolical Emperor.

Lucas breaks up the soapy politics and court intrigue with some astonishing action sequences, including EDITED and some vintage lightsaber action. With a clarity that has eluded him in previous outings, the director propels the Anakin/Padme love story with a velocity that will please even the most skeptical viewer. For comic relief, Lucas employs a gallery of old friends, including Yoda (EDITED); the comedy duo C-3PO and R2D2, who return to their wisecracking ways seen in The Empire Strikes Back; and most appealingly, Chewbacca, who appears in an extended sequence on the Wookie homeworld..EDITED

The computer-designed universe Lucas utilized in Menace and Clones seemed plastic and sterile, beautiful landscapes that lacked any sense of life. Thankfully, technology has progressed enough in REVENGE OF THE SITH to make the backdrops pulsate with energy and vibrancy. Sequences on lava-covered mining worlds, inside space cruisers, and on the expansive floor of the Imperial Senate almost crackle with intensity; finally, Lucas' vision has borne fruit, making CGI an emotional medium as well as a visual one.

The non-CGI actors -- look Ma, real humans! -- contain some pleasant surprises, too. Christensen is given the thankless task of trasmogrifying into Darth Vader, one of the most iconic characters in the history of cinema. His smoldering rage and jealous fury doesn't quite make it all the way, but it's enough to suspend disbelief. (Who knew that adolescent rebellion could change the face of an entire universe?) McGregor seems to be having a marvelous time turning Obi-Wan into a futuristic swashbuckler, as does McDiarmid, who gleefully employs every villainous trick in the book except twirling a mustache.

Lucas' screenplay is his strongest in years, and even contains a few barely-concealed critiques of the Bush Administration and the Iraq War. The commentaries on democracy are offered in direct counterpoint to a government that is clearly overstepping its bounds, and the parallels are obvious to anyone looking for them. While Bush might not be an evil emperor (yet), it's not that far a trip from Senator Palpatine to Tom DeLay.

Its contemporary resonance, however, is subtle, and never gets in the way of the entertaining journey. REVENGE OF THE SITH may not be the series' best (that title still goes to Empire), but it can comfortably sit in a place of privilege among Lucas' six efforts. In the end, its greatest accomplishment may be to nullify the weaknesses of other, lesser installments. The lingering memories of Jar-Jar are forgiven (almost); George Lucas has shown us how to dream of galaxies again...and how fun he can make an afternoon at the movies.

-- Gabriel Shanks

From cinemablend.com:

Release Date: 2005-05-19
    Reviewed by Joshua Tyler: 2005-05-05

FIVE STARS

I still remember the first time I really became aware of George Lucas. Not more than eight, I discovered an especially careworn copy of an Empire Strikes Back novelization buried in the bleak looking Science Fiction section of my tiny local library. Naturally, I assumed that Star Wars was in fact a book before it was a movie, and that this George Lucas must surely be the greatest writer who had ever written. Over the next few years I’d eventually read every book on those shelves, but when asked my favorite author my response would invariably be “George Lucas”.

I remember all the magazine articles and photos too; the shots of George Lucas at Skywalker Ranch, surrounded by his creations, pictures of him standing next to a miniature of the Millennium Falcon. In the eyes of millions of kids, the guy became a legend. We swarmed to anything that had his name on it, ate up every Ewok Adventure or Star Wars Christmas Special because we knew George Lucas had created it. We didn’t just love Star Wars we loved the mythos of George Lucas, a man who somehow seemed magical.

By coincidence, my wedding fell three days after the opening of The Phantom Menace. My bachelor party wasn’t spent on strippers or a massive kegger. No, for my bachelor party we saw The Phantom Menace. My last night of freedom, and I wasted it watching a mentally challenged alien step in poop. Never has anyone brought so much happiness and hope to so many people as George Lucas, only to turn around and crush those same people with unbelievable frustration and disappointment. He’s exhausted our patience and battered our dreams with his prequels, soiling the name of a thing that, like it or not, to a lot of people truly meant something. On second thought, maybe he was only kidding with all the bad movie making.

Because Revenge of the Sith is the movie he ought to have made right from the beginning. This is the story he kept promising he’d tell, the movie we’ve all kept hoping he’ll make. The other two Star Wars prequels are utterly irrelevant; this film could have existed without them. It’s a perfect fit with the glorious originals and unlike the previous prequels it only betters them.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith begins at a torrid pace and never lets up. Obi Wan (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin (Hayden Christensen) appear in the midst of EDITED.

There’s no need to pause for character development, as Lucas’s exceptionally well crafted script melds deeper growth and personality right in with the action. He establishes the strong friendship between Anakin and Obi Wan immediately, in a way that was never evidenced in Attack of the Clones. This was always one of the great strengths of the original Star Wars movies, an uncanny ability to tell us volumes about its characters while in the middle of a wild ride through a meteor shower, or rescuing a princess from her torture chamber. Writer/Director Lucas has finally recaptured that here, and the film absolutely soars because of it.

EDITED Sith dips deeper and deeper into its inevitable storyline of corruption and failure. There are moments of celebration and fantastic locales (like Kashyyk, the much anticipated Wookieee planet) particularly in the beginning of the film, but even those are tinged with the knowledge that the heroes of this story are being deceived. The movie gets dark, and puts its PG-13 rating to good use. I’m not talking about gore here, I don’t think that’s the only reason this movie got that rating.

Revenge of the Sith is simply too heavy and too intense to be a meager PG.

Watching Padme struggle to love Anakin is wrenching, and cringing through his slow personality slip into evil is brutally heartbreaking. There’s a real sense that something important is being lost, as Palpatine’s plans come to fruition and the old Galactic order is pulled viciously asunder. I’m not talking about vague, political mumbo jumbo, but rather something more personal and ideological.

If anything, this fantasy film is a rather poignant warning on the dangers of fear mongering. A lesson on the evil men can do while wrapping themselves in the mantle of freedom, democracy, and safety. As Anakin himself points out later in the film, it all depends on your point of view. Words that are later echoed from the lips of Obi Wan, when instructing Anakin’s son Luke. That’s the kind of highly tuned resonance Revenge of the Sith has. There’s a real sense not only that the vibrations of this film mean something to this universe down the road, but that they might have some application to our world as well. Maybe Lucas is finally getting around to starting that religion so many people have been pushing for, but I prefer to think that the man has at last re-found his footing as a relevant filmmaker.

One of the big Achilles heels of the previous two films was acting, something that can’t necessarily be fixed with a better script like this. Granted, better dialogue certainly helps, but the Star Wars prequels thus far have had the disturbing ability to turn even usually stellar actors into wooden, stilted performers. However Lucas has regained his footing as an all around filmmaker, not just a writer.

Whether as a result of better direction or simply greater confidence in the material, Natalie Portman’s work has taken leaps and bounds over her previously awkward portrayal of Amidala. McGregor too simply seems more comfortable in his role, and the chemistry between Kenobi and Anakin really hits. The biggest surprise though is Hayden Christiansen, who turns things up a notch to steal scenes from brilliant veteran actors like Ian McDiarmid. I’m not ready to declare him a great actor, but I think he’s finally nailed Anakin down. It’s not just reciting his lines either, he’s taken on an incredibly imposing physical presence, with Lucas going out of his way to make pre-Vader Anakin feel like the powerful, hulking figure he’ll become once he puts on that suit.

Revenge of the Sith isn’t just a great Star Wars movie, it’s a flat out great film. Yes it’s technically proficient and yes it’s visually beautiful. Those things are a given. What hasn’t been is how solidly the film is constructed. Revenge of the Sith is a powerful, big budget experience. Yet it is the way that it fits so wonderfully into the existing Star Wars mythos that best sells it, the way it nestles so nicely into 1977’s Episode IV: A New Hope that makes it special. The real beauty is that you could easily toss out the previous two awkward attempts, watch only this in sequence with the original films, and come out completely satisfied. Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace are best forgotten. Lucas’s real miscalculation was in not making this movie right from the start. He tried to stretch the story when all we needed was Vader’s rise in its purest form. Star Wars fans have finally been rewarded for their patience. This is it, don’t miss out.

JediBoricua
    9 to 1 in RT.com.

The only rotten one is not that bad either.

Somebody *pinch* me.

JediBoricua
    Harry Knowles has his review up and I have to post this here. You can it unedited if you want. I got goosebumps reading this.

Harry Knowles review (AICN):

I have watched my last new STAR WARS film.

Really don’t know what to say. I’ve wanted to see Obi-Wan fight Vader on that Lava Planet since that issue of Starlog in 1978. My 6 year old reading comprehension grasping for every word of every article I could get my grubby little hands on. For me, the origin of Vader has been the Holy Grail of my geek soul. That story most coveted, but yet untold. I’m 33 years old now. 27 years lay between me and that boy that dreamt of that fight – but right now, he’s on my shoulders and we’re slapping high-fives.

The imagery in REVENGE OF THE SITH -- EDITED. These are all near religious iconography in the minds of children raised in the ways of the Force. I’ve spent a quarter of a century discussing these things, speculating on what it’d look like, how it’d play out… I’ve seen it in countless dreams, but never with my eyes open. Never George’s dream of what it was. Till now.

As I sat at the Regal Metropolitan Theater in South Austin watching the film – I couldn’t help but get caught up in it. Dad was there with me, we’ve spent countless years talking STAR WARS – through STAR WARS – I learnt of the source material George was smashing and grabbing from – B serials, Pulp sci-fantasy adventure romances, Asian cinema – all of it. Before STAR WARS – I was well on my way – after STAR WARS the road was poured. I would be a geek for the rest of my life.

That would mean, I’d be primed to openly weep as EDITED. It is a very powerful thing to see the dreams one has spent a quarter of a century pondering. It might be cheese ball of me, but dammit – this is exactly what I wanted out of this last STAR WARS film… closure.

I’m having a really hard time writing about this one. It’s just so damn big. So full of literally everything that I wanted to see in all the prequels – but crammed all into this one. This really is the big Michael Corleone episode of STAR WARS… It’s where all the traps are sprung, all the cards are laid on the table, where everybody dies, all is lost and evil rules the galaxy.

That’s what makes the film so damn hard to talk about, at least off a first viewing. Let me see if I can explain this.

We all know how dark this film is intended to be. We all know how incredibly dire things will turn out in this film. However, the first 40 minutes are so light… as to be completely disconcerting. There’s just a feeling that THEY shouldn’t be having fun. Don’t they know this is the last smiles they’ll share? EDITED...Don’t they know that? WE DO, why can’t they see what’s coming? WAKE UP!

The film makes you powerless to change things. It’s like sitting still for a ******* tragedy right from the get go, but unlike TITANIC, you don’t have it all spelt out yet. Unless you’ve read all the spoilers – and I don’t really know what you spoiler-lovers will think. Just because for me… I knew, basically, what was going to happen. The broad strokes. I’ve gone out of my way to ignore as many spoilers as possible – which is a near impossible thing to do when you’re being emailed by everyone on Earth 300 images a day, 40 reviews a day now and were sent all the books, comics, score, everything from Publicity firms… ****… I bought that Talking Yoda toy – and next thing I know the little Green Bastard is trying to tell me the story of REVENGE OF THE SITH. It’s so hard to be pure on this – there’s just so much information out there. Everywhere.

The most shocking or surprising emotion I felt during this film experience is that… I don’t want Anakin to become Darth Vader. I just… Despite 27 years to the contrary, as I sat in that theater watching the last act of a good Jedi that turned evil… I just found myself wanting to scream at him to stop. EDITED. I wanted Anakin to let go of his hate, fear, ambition, jealousy and self-centered egotism and just be the knight in shining armor… FOR THE GOOD GUYS!

You can tell… Anakin so wants to do what is right. He even does the right things, it’s just everyone around him doesn’t treat him as an equal… save for Palpatine. That when push comes to shove, the only ******* rat bas**** in the galaxy that is going to call him son, tell him ‘fairy tales’ and really listen to his problems enough to find out what is REALLY troubling him is the bad guy!

Why?

Because the whole damn galaxy is at war, because to everyone else, Anakin’s existential crisis doesn’t amount to a hill of beans, they’ve got bigger fish to fry. They’ve got to Protect Wookies and the mushroom people and Hellraiser’s home planet and kill lots of robots and General Grievous and police the ******* universe… and… and… well, their damn domestic policy sucks!

The Bad Guy has his priorities right. He’s controlling the robots, the clones and to a large extent the Jedi… yet still manages to multi-task enough to listen to Anakin EDITED. He'll take the time, to ignore an amazing science fiction zero G Esther Williams number, to tell young Skywalker EDITED. A story, an anecdote. And he tells it, like a father would to a son.

EDITED. He doesn’t tell Anakin bull**** like… learn to not give a ****, detachment is the key to inner peace… What sort of bull**** is that? EDITED. WHAT SORT OF ******* JEDI WISDOM IS THAT **** YODA??? THAT'S NOT REALLY HELPFUL YOU NEGATIVE GREEN TURD!

My god. The Jedi really are a bunch of goody two shoe clueless *****. They’re so concerned with fixing the galaxy’s problems that they don’t have time for their own… and due to their unrealistic and inhumane rules about not loving or caring about anything other than the almighty “force” they created an air of fear for Skywalker. How could he level with them? How could he share with them? EDITED. Everyone is so busy being good little soldiers, that they just are not communicating.

Obi Wan never takes Anakin out for drinks and just levels with him. Sits him down and explains fascist totalitarianism. He doesn’t explain why sacrificing the most marginal freedoms to create a false sense of security enables those taking on those additional powers to create a greater evil than that which they fear. Hell, nobody really explains to Anakin why Democracy is better than Absolute Rule. Instead it is all this, “Search your feelings” ********. Turn to your ancient religion. This is why ultimately Luke Skywalker kicks ***. Because he doesn’t have all this dogmatic *** Because he’s got a buddy like Han Solo that’d be willing to bust *** across the galaxy to save his *** Somebody that has his back. FRIENDS! Because when the Sith hits the fan, it’s the love of your friends that’ll help you push through and kick *** Because Luke believes in twin sunsets, the good guys and saving his dad.

What does Anakin have? Who cares about Anakin? Well Obi Wan, but he doesn’t know how to show it. Yoda? He’s too busy being disturbed about the cosmic meaning of **** to even form a no ******** non fortune cookie sentence. Mace Windu? EDITED. Padme? She’s more concerned with her hair, her image, everybody’s standing and well being. And then Anakin himself? He’s told he’s the chosen one, the key that will make the galaxy unified. Yet, the only one empowering him to do that is the ******* Emperor.

I love how together Palpatine is. He’s just one of the greatest bad guys in the history of bad guys. He absolutely must be Karl Rove’s hero. Look at this. Palpatine has engineered so many things. The creation of the Droid armies, the creation of the Clone armies, his various Sith apprentices, Fall guys for Fall guys… all with the direct purpose of spreading his enemy so thin EDITED.

It’s like inviting your friends over for an all night session of game play and spreading cyanide on the ******* pizza. They’re all gonna eat it, cuz… dude… it’s what you do when you play games. The Jedi are fighting their war, doing Jedi ****. Kill the droids, tons of them. This **** is fun for them. They eat it up. This is their Frosted Flakes with Bananas. They finally got their Holy Crusade, woo hoo, a sense of purpose. EDITED.

It’s so beautifully laid out. It’s ******* immaculate. This is literally how you rule the universe. It is to be admired. And learnt from. Cuz as Padme says, "EDITED.” Exactly. Distractions, a clear and concise innocent front and cutthroat evil behind the scenes.

REVENGE OF THE SITH is a masterpiece. The final piece of the puzzle Lucas first presented me at age 6. 27 years later, the Jigsaw is complete and damn if it isn't just damn near the most tragically cool thing I’ve ever seen put to film. We won’t see another like this. This is it.

We’ll see enormous sci-fantasy told, with more focus and even grander visions in our lifetime… but we’ll never care as much about a story like this one. For our generation, Star Wars is our mythology. The big story we lived to see told the first time. For those of you that were kids in lines in 1977 through to the coming weeks… I have to say, it has been an absolute ******* honor to do this with y’all.

We all know where we each were at the opening of all these films. In two weeks… this is your last story. I’ll never see a new Star Wars movie with my father again. I’ll see many more movies – but this is the last Star Wars, I’ll ever see for the first time with my dad. I’ve seen all 6 with him. All on either the first day – or before. It’s the mythology he’s grown old with and helped me grow up with. This one counts, this one is beautiful. This is the last one.

I can’t possibly express how profoundly odd that is to type. How weird it makes me feel. I went out after the film – I went to find a toy to sit on my desk to look at while I typed this. I went through aisle after aisle of Star Wars stuff, and I couldn’t pick something out. I think the one I most thought was cool – was this Lego play set of Anakin and Obi Wan on Mustafa. You pressed down the Lego character’s head and the light sabers lit up. Gosh that’s cool. I’ll probably buy it for my nephew… Instead I came home, played the score to REVENGE OF THE SITH and wrote this.

Remember – this isn’t a Star Wars movie to cheer for, to erupt into applause and call cool. If you really love STAR WARS – this one is heart ache. Not only is it the end of a nearly 30 year journey for us… It really is the story of how things got so bad, that the good guys had to be a rebellion, where the Jedi had to hide and how evil ruled the galaxy. Wow, I’ve seen my last new Star Wars film. ****

I just put spoiler code around it in case anybody got upset. I know most of the spoilers in there but I am sure there might be some people who don't want to read it. About the review from mixed reviews, I find it surprising that he came up with the anti-bush thing, it might be because he is bias that way, heck the slant reviewer gave it a negative review because of that reason. Honestly, I don't know if Lucas was really doing that, I have always felt Palpatine resembled a combination of the rise to power of Augustus and Hitler.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast