Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball: 2005 Edition

Aegis Du' Caat

NCAA Basketball: 2005 Edition

Go Illini! Ok now that I've got that out of my system, what an incredible season thus far. UNC, Kansas, the 'Zags, Duke, BC, Wake, UK, OKSt, a hapless PAC-10 (thank you lord!) Is it just me or is this not one of the most exciting years of NCAA basketball in recent memory.

Granted, I'm pumped up over my alma mater's dominance over seemingly anyone who had to take the ACT/SAT in the last 4 years, but still I've seen some pretty amazing games. Though I hate Kansas with a passion, I've been utterly impressed with that teams tenacity, even without their all-world super-star Wayne Simien and though I would publicly decry it as a travesty if they were ranked higher than my beloved Illini, privately I would simply nod my head because they've proven themselves worthy of that title as well. The same can be said for the UNC team who, along with the Illini have been making the teams they play look like the hapless Washington Generals.

The MVC just looks marvelous this year as well and I think it should be about time for this conference of Giant Killers to start getting the recognition they deserve and see at least three MVC squads in the Big Dance at the end of the year.

Other than that, what are your thoughts on the season and if I'm missing a powerhouse conference out there, that is really sporting some competition for the Big Boys feel free to defend them.

It really has been an interesting season so far. Illinois looks like the best team I've seen in a few years. Let's see if they keep it up. The ACC is just stacked this year. I couldn't believe how badly UNC destroyed G. Tech last night though.

My beloved NT has a decent shot at 20 wins this season. Considering how mediocre we've been for years that's pretty amazing.

LightKnight
    Go, Heels

Now that that’s out of the way as well I’m still leery to get too excited about the big boy’s in Carolina Blue. One player gets hurt anyone of them decides to disbelieve uncle Roy’s defense and we are sunk. I’m very pleased how they played GT but I’m also displeased with the way they shot. 39% or something along that line, isn’t to good. Had GT been on, or had it been Wake or KA in the big tourney things would have been different. All I know is they have the talent and coach but do they have the heart to make this the year I have been waiting for since 93'.

Illnois looks great right now, but with the tourney who knows that to me makes college basketball so exciting.

Anuis Ma'artra
    20-0 Baby. Done with the Kohl Center Curse! And still Dickie V. won't give us his number 1. Wonder if he will when the I-L-L...I-N-I go all the way!

Sorry for the Illini gushing. Though one of the guys on the Storm radio show, A Chicago AM Sportstalk station, did make mention that the Illini's performance against wake was no fluke and Wake's performance against UNC wasn't either and he's just wondering when Dickie V. will understand that.

However on that note, go Heels, beat the Blue Devils!

Illinois is awesome this year...no doubt about that. The Big 10 is also stronger this year than in recent seasons(or so it seems) so it makes their utter domination all the more impressive.

My dear ole Alma Mater is going in the tank it appears. Our season started out with such promise too.

Well Dickie V is very ACC bias I remember both times UConn beat Duke he never though they could either year.

Uhh dude, I remember he picked UConn last year(Digger picked Duke tho). No one picked them in 1999, because the Devils had won about a millon in a row.

He's not ACC biased. He just gets on kicks with certain schools and coaches. Like Duke, Bobby Knight, Kentucky, etc...

He's not nearly as bad as he was when Dean Smith was still around. He called him Michaelangelo about 37 times a game.

I didn't remember him picking UConn, I guess I am thinking more back of 99 when he was really crazy about Duke.

LightKnight
    Infidel, Rise too your feet when you mention the name DEAN SMITH show proper respect to the greatest coach of all time.

Anuis Ma'artra
    John Wooden?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    Its old news, but I still can't get over the medieval beating that Bama put on Miss. St. Worst loss for the Bulldogs since the 1950's

LightKnight
    Originally posted by Ka' el Darcverse
    John Wooden?
    Huh, Greatest coach, not coach with the two greatest centers in college history, blasphemer

Even wihout Walton and Lew Alcindor- I believe the Wizard had just as many titles as Smith. Didn't he win 8 total?

Anuis Ma'artra
    I love Dean Smith don't get me wrong, but if you want to compare who had the greater talent you are looking at more of a dead heat. Don't forget, Worthy and Jordan played for the namesake of the Dean Dome

LightKnight
    Yeah, I think wooden won roughly 8 titles, but he came out of a weak conference compared to the ACC. And I think that most people forget that for the longest of time you didn’t go to the big dance unless you won you conference tourney. Sorry, I can’t remember what year they did away with that and expanded the tourney.

But anyway, had that not been the case I’d bet a million big ones that The Great one, Dean Smith would have won at least 5-10 championships.

Now as far as worthy and Jordan good college players but NO where as good as Alcindor and Walton in college. Alcindor and Walton could and did win games on their own, well as much as one could on their own with 4 other players on their team. Now of course Worthy had a very good N.B.A career and Alcindor became the second greatest player to ever play the came, second only too Larry Bird . Now as far as Jordan an ok player but will be best know for being the worlds greatest marketing gimmick.

LightKnight
    Is anyone watching the Maryland at Puke game? Could the officiating be any worse? The officials are missing a good game. Well not really rather boring.

What the bloody heck is wrong with the Puke fans? Now am I too assume that they take pride in themselves acting like total Idiots? Do these people not have too have better than average S.A.T’s too attend this College, or am I mistaken on that? Anyway one would assume that if you are attending a fine institution like Puke you would know how to conduct yourself in public in a professional manner. Heck, I saw three guys holding hands and jumping up and down because one of Pukes player hit a two point shot that at the time wasn’t even pivotal at the time. . And what’s up with that Whuuupp noise they make, do they really think that it will make Maryland’s players miss free throws?? Wow, I think they should call themselves the Cameron Morons instead of the crazies at least if your really crazy you have a reason to act this spastic

I thought Wooden won ten. I know UCLA just about dominanted the early 60's and most of the 70's.

Duke has the best fans in college basketball by a country mile. The Crazies invented the f'n airball chant for God's sake.

Carr now that you mention it, I think Wooden did win at least 9 titles. And like I said earlier..he didn't have the 2 big guys for all of'em.

Anuis Ma'artra
    Wooden won 10 in 11 years. It wasn't winning a Conference Tourney that got you inivited either, it was winning the conference regular season. Weren't many conference Tourney's back in the day, that's an invention of the suits at the TV stations looking for cash cows.

And don't even get me started on the Crazies. If they were half the Fans the Orange Crush were Duke wouldn't have lost at home!

LOL

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast