Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football

College Football

I can't believe nobody has started this and it comes down to the NFL fan to start it Seriously what do you all think so far. Right now South Carolina is beating Georgia 16-0. Notre Dame is leading Michigan in the 4th, two possible upsets there. Already Kansas State got blown out by Fresno state now that is a shocker.

I wasn't gonna start it, because it only seems like Figrin, Charley, and I give a damn. It's been a very interesting day - that's for sure. I'll be back to post after the North Texas game. That's the only game that really matters.

LOL I care some what. I usually follow the games. I just prefer the NFL a little more. I still like College Football though

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Upsets so far this weekend:

#7 Michigan lost to Notre Dame, 28-20
    #12 Kansas St. lost to Fresno St., 45-21
    #17 Missouri lost to Troy St., 24-14 (Thursday Night)
    Nebraska lost to Southern Miss, 21-17

and #3 Georgia is losing to S. Carolina, 16-13

After a first weekend in which only one top 25 team lost, several have gone this weekend, including Florida State last night to Miami, a game that it looked like the Seminoles had won until the Hurricanes rallied in late in the 4th quarter to force OT.

Not a good weekend for the Big 12 North. Right now, it would appear that whomever wins the Red River Shootout this year will win the Big 12.

Also... I haven't understood why some analysts, like Jim Donnan have been so high on Michigan. Their running game has yet to show life this season, and they're starting a true freshman at QB because of the injury to Matt Gutierrez. The defense is outstanding, but it doesn't matter if you have the best wideouts in the nation... eventually, a true freshman QB will play like a true freshman. The Wolverines are finding that out now against the Irish. It's not just the Michigan/Ohio State show in the Big Ten anymore (the Buckeyes are struggling today as well). Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Purdue will be right in the middle of the conference title race as well.

Speaking of Purdue (yeah, you all knew it was coming), they won again in blowout fashion. It's easy to say that they haven't played anyone tough yet, but still... in two games, they've scored 110 points and allowed only 7. The defense is young, but they've played great thus far. They held Walter Reyes, one of the better RB's in the nation, to just 31 yards rushing. And Kyle Orton is looking like a Heisman-calibur QB.

I love college football.

Heh I knew you bring up Purdue Michigan is overrated. I think Florida State is too. Rix is a horrible QB, I am guessing Florida State has nobody else, becuase he wouldn't start on most teams. Honestly, Miami doesn't look that good either. I think Clemson could take that conference, honestly, heck so couldn't Maryland or Virgina Tech. It is pretty much up for grabs.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Ohio State found a way to win a close game yet again. It took a career long 54-yard field goal by their kicker as time expired to pull it off, but they managed to squeak by another close call in non-conference play, just like they have the past 3 years.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Georgia has taken the lead, 20-16, but the game is far from over. S. Carolina is getting their offense going really for the first time in the second half and should have a great chance to still get the upset.

6 losses in a row to Miami. Eat it Seminoles!!!!!
    (Not that I'm a huge Canes fan, but I'm from a Florida school (USF) and FSU is pretty high up there on my enemies list. And believe me, it's a LONG list!)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

S. Carolina couldn't pull it out. Two turnovers late in the game doomed them. But, they definitely gave Georgia a scare.

As I look through the polls at the Top 10 teams, I'm really not that impressed to be honest. USC has looked pretty good, and so has Oklahoma (although their run defense struggled last week). Georgia is solid in most areas, but they struggled offensively most of their game today. Other than that, everyone else has some major flaws. Miami still can't trust Brock Berlin to win games for them, IMO. FSU can't run the football, and Chris Rix is still a headcase. LSU has a QB controversy. So does Michigan once Gutierrez gets healthy, and they also have yet to show a decent running game. Ohio State is having issues at QB as well, not just athletically but leadership-wise as well since Krenzel has departed. Texas has talent, but everyone still questions if they will ever beat Oklahoma. I know it's only a couple weeks into the season, and teams will improve, but I think beyond the top 3 teams or so, the Top 10 is going see a LOT of fluxuation this year, with teams jumping in and out all season long. If ever there was a year in which a team from the lower part of the Top 25 could step up and make a run at the National Championship, it's this year.

Wow, Ty Willingham is going to silence some of his critics with Norte Dame's big comeback against Michigan. Pretty sweet comeback.

Florida Atlantic scores with 29 seconds left...FAU 20 NT 13.

Other than that a really good day in college football. You gotta love upsets and there were several today, with a few near misses. Notre Dame's victory is probably the headliner, because of their lousy season last year, but Fresno State is the big story to me. They're as good as they were 3 years ago IMHO. The Fresno/Boise game is gonna be awesome.

Two weeks into the season you can't tell alot. Some teams have just played once, and no one is really in fine form(though Southern California looks pretty good already) yet. The Miami/FSU game last night was epic as usual - but I think both schools will have down seasons(for them anyways).

If I had to pick a National Champ today, I'd say USC. Clemson is my "sleeper" pick, though they're in a dogfight right now and might lose.

Clemson are winning 10-7 now. They should be up more too many drop passes.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A couple more upsets:

#25 Oregon lost to Indiana, 30-24
    #18 Clemson lost to Georgia Tech, 28-24

and Arkansas is playing #8 Texas extremely tough... only a 2 point lead for the Longhorns in the 4th quarter.

That clemson game makes me mad that long snapper needs to be booted off the team. grrr.

Don't revoke his scholarship dude.

That was a rough way to lose the game.

LOL he got me mad though that was awful snap. I would at least think about changing snappers after that.

The Notre Dame game was fantastic. Even though I should've been pulling for al Qaeda in that one, I had to pull for the underdog in that.

The Boilermakers slaughtered Ball St. What a crushing.

Watching Troy beat up on Missouri was satisfying, as was the beaing they gave Marshall last week. They're going to hurt people this season.

As for Bama? Well, they did a bit better than I imagined against Ole Miss, but its still not a perfect show. They muffed punt returns, fumbled, etc. The special teams (with the exception of Christensen, WOW) need work. Our defensive front needs to step up and play hard against the run between the tackles. Our secondary, as always, needs improvement.

Still, a win is a win, and we won quite handily. Still, we need a lot of improvement.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    The
    Originally posted by CMJ
    I wasn't gonna start it, because it only seems like Figrin, Charley, and I give a damn.
    HEY!

Anyway, the FSU-Miami game was epic, as usual. I still think Brock Berlin is too inconsistent.

Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
    I still think Brock Berlin is too inconsistent.
    I'll agree with that. The Canes are going to get hosed in an upset or two if he doesn't bring his A game.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Considering that both Miami and FSU have consistency problems on offense, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ACC is won by Maryland. They have a reasonably good schedule, and Ralph Friedgen's teams have a tendancy to overachieve. How they do this Saturday against W. Virginia should be a good indicator.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast