Thread: Hero

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley

Hero

Anybody seen it yet?

Best movie of 2004 I've seen currently (because Kill Bill 2 is 1/2 a movie )

Probably better done in cinematography terms than the Thin Red Line or any other film I've seen. Its five times the movie that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was.

That being said, it's thick on communist propaganda like chicago-style pizza is thick on cheese.

If that's not your bag, whatever. I was still able to enjoy it, commies or no.

Best propaganda movie since Triumph of the Will

Really stylistic and if you're a cinematography fan(like me) you're gonna almost orgasm at some of the images. Seriously, it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The fight cheorography was astounding - easily trumping CTHD.

That said, I didn't think the Rashoman-like plot line was particularly involving and didn't care about any of the characters very much. Kind of an empty shell I thought.

Still a wonderfully entertaining flick. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars out of 4 just on the energy factor and images.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Yeah, the characters are almost hollow shells. Jet Li's character might as well be a mannequin that does kung fu, and the other three major characters aren't much more than that.

Its one of those concept movies. Its art-house propaganda, and it's gorgeous to look at.

Yeah, and from what I understand the US release has even more hollowed characters(10 minutes were cut I believe). I saw the original version about a month ago.

Knowing the right people can be cool at times.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    I've heard the opposite, that the US release was done so intact.

Hmmmmm, how odd. I guess I might have to go see and compare to what I remember. I swear I'd read that the US version was skimmed down with the "fat" cut.

Shawn
    The US version is pretty much intact. I haven't seen it myself to compare, but the only change I've heard of is that "All Under Heaven" was changed to "Our Land". I suppose they think that will make more sense to American audiences somehow.

It's a gorgeous movie and no one will tell you differently. The Wire-Fu bugged me the first time I watched it, but I still enjoyed it, overall. And before you start: Yes, I understand the reasons for Wire-Fu. It just breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. I don't really have a problem with people flying around and stuff, but I want it to at least look plausible.

I'll probably get around to catching it in theaters sometime soon.

Grev Drasen
    I doubt Tarantino would let Miramax touch the film.

He's so big into film that he doesn't even do commentaries because it takes away from the director's work. Even if they edited the film I doubt it will make any difference at all in the story.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sssmoke me a kjipperrr, jI'll be back forrr brrreakfassst!

AKA
    Charley
    Originally posted by Shawn
    I haven't seen it myself to compare, but the only change I've heard of is that "All Under Heaven" was changed to "Our Land". I suppose they think that will make more sense to American audiences somehow.
    I can verify this. Its really not that big of a deal. The chinese can sometimes have a really indirect way of saying what they mean.

Shawn
    Perhaps I need to see it in context, but "All Under Heaven" makes more sense to me. Especially if you watch other films about the subject. (eg, The Emperor and the Assassin)

Drake Shadowstalker
    My friends and I saw this movie, and none of us cared for it in the slightest. The fighting was completely ridiculous because of all the flying around and walking on water crap. And wtf was up with the all the leaves being blown around by that one lady? Plus the ending sucked.

Eve
    ... Dang. I'm not sure why you even bought tickets for such a movie. Alien vs. Predator is also playing at a theater near you.

I thought the movie was excellent in all the ways already stated. Just saw it. It was much better than CTHD. It's pure art.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Loved it. The whole movie was like CMJ said, completely beautiful.

I loved the fact that in each version of the story the characters are wearing a different color scheme.

Drake Shadowstalker
    AVP was alot better then Hero. If I want to see people flying and sailing through the air, I will watch Super Man or Spider Man.

Grev Drasen
    Originally posted by Drake Shadowstalker
    AVP was alot better then Hero. If I want to see people flying and sailing through the air, I will watch Super Man or Spider Man.
    Wow.

Marcus Telcontar
    WHAT.

No wonder Hollywood keeps on producing warmed up crap.

I for one cant wait to see Hero. I rather like quality fim making.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
    I for one cant wait to see Hero. I rather like quality fim making.
    x2

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sssmoke me a kjipperrr, jI'll be back forrr brrreakfassst!

AKA
    Charley
    HAHAHAHA

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
    Loved it. The whole movie was like CMJ said, completely beautiful.

I loved the fact that in each version of the story the characters are wearing a different color scheme.
    To my mind, the was a corollation between the purity of the colors and the purity of truth in the stories.

The movie was exquisite and it had me crying at the end. I am sure Eve noticed me sniffling and puffy-eyed, but she was nice enough not to poke fun.

Dutchy
    Just saw it. Visually stunning, emotionally distant, very distant. I liked it for the wow-factor. Some scenes were no less than gorgeous to look at.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast