Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

LOL yeah or what about the the Siruis-Lupin people. Seriously I was rooting for Ron and Hermione but if hadn't have happened I would have went oh well and been fine, anybody that gets angry over something like this has some problems

jjwr
    Yay Just finished! Awesome ending. But its very late and I have work early so I'll post some thoughts tomorrow!

Darth McBain
    I finally finished the book - good stuff... Now I can go and actually read through this thread.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    ARGH CHRIST. I made a point not to come into this thread, not to read ANY spoilers, but nooooo... I was over at my grans a couple of days ago and some old woman says, "so and so is still traumatized over the death of Dumbledore."

Shawn
    Eh, don't sweat it too much. Not only did I have that spoiled for me, but also who did it. I would have enjoyed the book more if I didn't read the whole thing waiting for it to happen, but I still liked it.

Though, going into it with that foreknowledge, it seemed like the entire book was just leading up to that moment. Most of what was there just seemed like it was filling space and killing time until the inevitable outcome.

OotP was better, IMO.

I disagree I liked HBP better than OOTP. OOTP dragged way too much for me in comparison, plus I hated Umbridge and the whole thing with her made some of it not as fun. Right now I say HBP is my 3 favorite.

Shawn
    At least stuff actually went on in OotP. HBP just seemed like exposition, exposition, and more exposition.

Either GoF or OotP is my favorite, I'm not sure which.

Daiquiri
    GoF is my fav, with PoA second, then OotP.

jjwr, we're still waiting to hear from you

jjwr
    I should be chiming in tomorrow, just haven't had a chance yet

My order at the moment, is GOF, POA, and HBP and then probably OOTP. I don't think that much went on it was a lot of exposition as well. Really the big event of that book was the prophecy was hinted at all book and it wasn't till the end it happened.

jjwr
    First off, so far in order for me its Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, HBP, Prisoner, Chamber, Sorcers Stone.

Now for the rest...

Wow! I didn't know for sure that it would be Dumbledore that died but even before people started talking I was almost 99% sure of it. For Harry to do what he needs to do then Dumbledore needs to be gone.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit, a bit slow in parts and for the most part nothing really happened until about page 500 but Tom Riddle parts were excellent, some of the others not nearly as much so.

Things I didn't like...

1. Ron & Hermoine....GET IT OVER WITH ALREADY!!! The whole Lavender Brown thing had no point in this book other than to fill up pages. Since prisoner its been pretty obvious the two would get together so why keep dragging it on? At the end with Hermoine & Ron hugging at the funeral you finally get your first taste of it. At this point though they are 17, enough with the 12yr old super shyness and never quite talking to each other.

On the flip side the Harry & Ginny thing was very well done!

2. It would be nice to see Harry a bit more competent with Magic by now, he has done a lot better but it seems even though he tought everyone in the D.A. when it comes to practal use of magic he can only use the spell to free someone. The slashing spell on Malfoy was of course a exceptoin but for someone who obviously has a big battle ahead of him I hope he picks up some skills quick!

That was pretty much it, I enjoyed the rest quite a bit!

Now obviously the real question is the Snape issue, I have to agree with the Theory that Snape is still a good guy. Him being a bad guys steals too much of Voldemorts thunder.

I know a lot of this has been covered but heres why I think he's good.

When Voldemort returned he said he was in trouble and needs Severus, he won't say it but Harry knows he is dying and without Snape he's dead. By the time he reaches the Astronomy tower he is additionally weaked and requests Snape before he will even enter the tower to look into the Dark Mark. This tells you he is already almost dead, what else would stop him from even entering his own school?

By the time Snape arrives on the tower he's pretty much dead, there is no way Snape can get him what he needs at this point, its just not going to happen. Dumbledore knows he is dead so why take Snape and possibly Harry down with him? As soon as Snape shows up his tone instantly changes, from his normaly tone to a pleading tone. Dumbledore would not plead for his life to anyone, its not in his character, he is pleading for something else.

Up to this point Harry has made the Occlumency point to Dumbledore and it gets mentioned quite a bit, how could Snape have shown up there and not been reading Dumbledore¡¦s mind considering the situation? Everything that needed to be said was said and Snape did what he had to. The Vow was also in effect, Dumbledore knew that Snape had made it and if he didn¡¦t die then Snape would, as he¡¦s already going to die why take his trusted agent with him?

When Snape left he pulled all of the Death-Eaters out as quickly as possible and seemed to try and minimize the damage. As has already been discussed he even seemed to be trying to teach Harry how to fight properly and when called a Coward he replied as if telling Harry he had no idea how much he has given up.

The other thought I had is we really don¡¦t find out why Dumbledore trusts Snape. When Harry reveals to the others what he feels is the reason they rightly doubt why that would be enough. When Harry discussed that with Dumbledore he never said that was the reason he explicity trusted him, after that story Harry pressed him and he refused to speak on it any further so we never find out what the real reason is.

The question is what did Dumbledore have and is it strong enough that he would kill Dumbledore but still stay loyal to the Order of the Phoenix. Its possible that Snape insisted on a unbreakable vow of his own, possibly to protect the child of the people he possibly helped kill by telling Voldemort about the prophecy?

Now as to the other things¡K

1. R.A.B ¡V Regullus Black? He would make sense and I can¡¦t think of anyone else who follows those initials. Obviously he didn¡¦t finish the job as the ring was still a Horcrux when Dumbledore destroyed it. Further possible proof of this ¡V in OotP on page #116 when they are cleaning the house they come across a locket that they can¡¦t open. Very possible that it¡¦s the horcrux that he either already removed or just hid? I didn¡¦t find that one, read it on another board ƒº

2. Draco ¡V I was quite happy with his turn at the end, I hope he has a further turn in the final book.

3. Snape still bad? As for if Snape is still bad, a few things make me wonder. Why did he knock out flitwick when he left his office? If he didn¡¦t know the situation why would he have knocked him out unless he had more of a idea of what was happening and was planning on the ¡§kill¡¨? This one I definetly can¡¦t explain.

4. Then the reason why Dumbledore trusts him, the problem is it would have to be really strong to keep him on the side of good after the actual death of Dumbledore.

5. Dumbledore is dead, even if the Death was done to protect Snapes secret Dumbledore himself said he needed Snape to survive so the potion was going to kill him so one way or the other he¡¦s dead.

Ok thats it for now

Ok Snape I don't really know. I feel he did to save his own skin, however I think there is more. There are theories that perhaps Snape loved Lilly and that could have been the reason that DD trusted him, it is really hard to say. I could see him redeeming himself in the end though. Now like you were saying about Ron and Hermione not sure why she hasn't just put them together unless she is setting up something big for them in book 7, which is possible. I am hoping at Bill and Fleur's wedding the two of them will do something that makes us know they are an item for good. I agree with you about Harry and Ginny.
    Also I want to express another reason why I thought this book was better than OOTP. I personally liked Harry better in this book. In the previous book Harry was way too moody for me. I got tired of him yelling and sulky. In this book he seemed much more mature, he was more determined to stop Voldemort as well. He realized that his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore all sacrificed their lives for him and he was now going to stop Voldemort at what ever the cost even if it means his own life. I just saw Harry as a more heroic character now. This was his final step on the Hero's Journey, except for the knowing exactly how to kill Voldemort he has what he needs to beat him. Also I loved the Horcruxes I thought that was a great touch and great way to come up with to explain Voldemort's near immortality. Still right now I say it is my third favorite of the series, although it is very close to POA to me.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Finally finished reading this a couple of weeks after having picked it up... so hard to find time to read sometimes... anyway...

I enjoyed it, although it was long on exposition. Lots of long conversations for the first 3/4 of the book. The action only really picked up once Harry and Dumbledore traveled to the cave to find the locket Horcrux. It wasn't the most exciting entry in the series, but it was a necessary step to completing the overall story. This was a set-up book. It's whole point was to set the stage for the final segment of the story, which I expect to be overflowing lots of confrontations and battles. Lots of things that simply had to happen before Harry could finally begin the final journey to destroy Voldemort were taken care of in this book, the biggest of which was obviously removing Dumbledore from the picture as Harry's protector. (Hate to say it, but I saw that coming since Book 4.)

Book 7 should be quite a bit different from the others, given the setup for it at the end of Book 6. I do have to laugh at some fans of the series who seem to get progressively more "upset" as the books get darker and more dangerous for the characters. I'm not sure what they expect from a storyline that is basically a hybrid of a coming-of-age tale and quest heroism. I think a lot of them could stand to read "The Hero with a Thousand Faces," though many are either too young or too ignorant. Ah, well.

Good read. Was well worth it, as have been the other books in the series. "Gobet of Fire" is still my personal fav, though.

jjwr
    Just found this on mugglenet.com

Mysterious initials possibly confirmed
    The Harry Potter Lexicon has reportedly confirmed that the mysterious three initials in Half-Blood Prince is indeed --Regulus Arcturus Black--. We hadn't known his middle name until now which is defined as "the fourth brightest star in the sky and the brightest star in the constellation Boötes, approximately 36 light-years from Earth."

It was as I had assumed, just curious where they're going to go with it.

Well I thought it was him, I am curious about some of it myself, like what he did with the locket. It is kind of neat that Regauls actually redeemed himself in the end, too bad Sirius didn't find out before he died.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910