Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Post War Iraq: Now in Progress

Dutchy
    Yeah, bad media. Pooh on them. Boo-hoo.

Marcus Telcontar
    Media being unbalanced? Well, then go looking. The BBC and the aust ABC have been quite fair.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...732136278.html

Interesting reading with the current discussion

Originally posted by Dutchy
    Yeah, bad media. Pooh on them. Boo-hoo.
    With nothing to offer, you concede the point?

JediBoricua
    What truth is there to the news that the turkey W brought to Iraq was fake? Supposedly it was a prop designed for the picture that circled the world.

Some of my friends have told me about it, and in a talk radio show here they were talking about it.

They said the Washington Post reported about it, but I have been unable to track the original newsbit.

Marcus Telcontar
    I believe that it's true, the turkey was a fake.

JediBoricua
    The perfect complement to a fake war then.

Marcus Telcontar
    Originally posted by JediBoricua
    what was a great PR move has been turned into a poor and backfiring stunt. Surely they could have had a real turkey.

JediBoricua
    Air Force one has a big kitchen right?

Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
    I believe that it's true, the turkey was a fake.
    Link?

ReaperFett
    Big deal, the turkey was fake. Makes a nice picture though.

Oh, and on another board a posters brother was there. The feeling was apparently very appreciative that Bush took the time to go out there. So who cares about PR, it made their day.

Marcus Telcontar
    Originally posted by Agent Charley
    Link?
    Go look it up in Google and the Washington Post. There's plenty on it there. Or www.smh.com.au

JediBoricua
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3294501.stm

Here is one from the BBC.

I'm trying to look for the original source, the Washington Post article, but can't find it.

The problem is Reaper that the WH is using the whole Thanksgiving visit as a makeup operation on the war. It leaves a lot to be desired to watch the president carry a gourgeous looking bird, to only learn that the troops were served regular meals.

smh had nothing on it. Thanks for the BBC link.

So this is about the turkey being for decoration?

Pardon me while I fail to find this newsworthy. Did somebody expect the troops there to be fed by this one single superturkey? Should Bush have pulled a "bread and fish" style miracle out for the crowd?

Get over it.

JMK
    I fail to see the newsworthyness as well. But as was stated, the visit was appreciated enough. But then what the hell was the point of the turkey? The visit was enough of a gesture, why pull a lame stunt like that? For the sake of PR and a pretty cliched picture? Please.

JediBoricua
    The problem is that there was no media at Iraq, so this is the picture the WH decided to distribute.

They could as easily distributed a picture of him shaking hands, hugging soldiers, telling a joke, but no, Karl Rove decided to wash the face of the worst month in Iraq by having W carry the most important symbol of Thanksgiving...a fake turkey.

Originally posted by JediBoricua
    The problem is that there was no media at Iraq, so this is the picture the WH decided to distribute.

They could as easily distributed a picture of him shaking hands, hugging soldiers, telling a joke, but no, Karl Rove decided to wash the face of the worst month in Iraq by having W carry the most important symbol of Thanksgiving...a fake turkey.
    Re-read. The turkey was real. Incidentally, turkey was served to the troops.

What do you want? Sterling silverware and fine china?

Darth Viscera

Sorry bud, you'd have to lube me up with 55 minutes of moorish propaganda before you could get that bird to fly.

I can just see it now. Coming to a TV near you Christmas 2003, Treegate. The president puts special emphasis on his christmas decorations, but this investigative reporter went under cover to find out the real truth behind George W. Bush's plastic christmas tree. We'll unravel this tree of lies, tonight at 10.

The vast right-wing conspiracy must be spinning in its grave.

lolz @ turkeygate

ReaperFett
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...q_executions_5

And I quote someone who rana death comparison:
    Human Rights watch puts mass murders at 290,000
    People that disappeared and prosumed dead at 200,000

Chemical attacks in 1983- 30,000
    Kurds 75,000
    Kids that have dead from hunger or turture, and ect... because of the regime in the last 5 years. 400,000
    Prisoners executed

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=5773
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/ir...0030404-1.html

If you just average and not take the time such as the kids in 5 years instead of 20, we get this

1,004,775 in 20 years
    that equals to 4187 a month

The innocent deaths since March is around 5000
    (This includes all those that were killed by Saddam's men)

There has been 9 months since the start of the war.

4187 X 9 = 37,683

37,683 > 5000

adjust and cut the number in half and Saddam has still killed more.

Darth Viscera
    You forgot a lot of stuff, like all the Iranians Saddam killed, many of whom were my cousins, and then there were the Iraqis living outside the major cities who simply died of neglect because all Saddam cared about was getting electricity to Baghdad. I've done those calculations before, and came up with a rough figure of an average of 324 deaths a day between 1979 and 2003 as a result of Saddam. That assumes that he was responsible for 3 million deaths, which I think is a rather liberal estimate.

ReaperFett
    Oh yeah, I'm sure the figures aren't exact. But when you can estimate that casualties would be up by 700% if there hadn't been a war, you start to wonder how bad this war was.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast