Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Post War Iraq: Now in Progress

Dutchy
    Death toll has risen to 17.

November in Iraq is an absolute nightmare month for America.

Darth Viscera
    Must be because of Ramadan or something. Or has that ended already?

Darth Viscera
    Good news from Baghdad today via Healing Iraq:

::Huge anti-terrorism demonstrations were held in Nassiriyah yesterday by students association condemning the attacks on the Italian force carrying signs such as 'No to terrorism. Yes to freedom and peace', and 'This cowardly act will unify us'. I have to add that there were similar demonstrations in Baghdad more than a week ago also by students against the bombings of police stations early this Ramadan. I hope the demonstrations advocates that bugged me are satisfied now. There are also preparations for anti-terror demonstrations before Id (end of Ramadan holidays).

::IP [Iraqi Police] thwarted another suicide bombing attempt in Basrah and captured the culprits, two of them foreign Arabs and one Iraqi. I also heard that four other Arabs were arrested in Baghdad suspected of being behind the bombings against police stations and the Red Cross on the first of Ramadan. Relieving news, if only we could watch some public trials of these criminals on tv, I'm sure it would make a great diference.

::Ahmad Kathum Ibrahim, the Minister of Interior deputy (a really tough looking guy which I admire hugely) has been taking groups of poor Baghdadis in tours around Baghdad in one of Uday's gold plated Rolls-Royce's. He said that this car will be used from now on by newly wed IP officers and recruits on their wedding day celebrations zeffa.

JediBoricua
    Bad news today, at least for me, I think.

Some of you may know that my uncle is the 'congressman' for Puerto Rico. Anyway, he just decided he will be traveling to Iraq to visit the puertoricans stationed there. When he told me today I asked him if he was part of the USO, he's really not that funny, because I don't see any real reason for him to go there (he wont tell me, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that he is now running for governor and he will get plenty of photo-ops).

I'm not that worried though, he will be a part of a delegation of Congress, so I'm sure security will be tight. Besides, I'm shouldn't be complaining, some of you have relatives there in real danger.

One good thing about it though is that I will have hands on information about the situation there.

I wish your uncle a safe journey and return. And have him give a shout to the Cubans over there!

Darth Viscera
    So what did you all think of Bush's thanksgiving visit to our troops in Baghdad? I was completely elated to the point of sputtering with joy when I heard it, and moreso when I heard of his warm and witty remarks to the GIs. The idea that he risked death to give some soldiers a memorable thanksgiving makes me really admire the man and his enormous degree of testicular fortitude.

It's regrettable that he couldn't stay longer and say something nice directly to the Iraqi people, but it's also a good thing he stayed safe, because he's no good to anyone dead.

I bet the terrorists are banging their heads against the wall right about now because they couldn't get our wily president.

JediBoricua
    I must admit it was a gutsy move.

A great way to seal a pretty good month for Bush's re-election bid next year.

Victories with Medicare, the economy grew, and his turkey carrying stunt in Iraq give him some points and make him an even stronger opponent for the democrat that finally wins.

A couple of months ago I said he was in trouble (election wise), now he seems to be getting out of it. Although the war is no better, and it will cause him more trouble in the next months.

Dutchy
    I also agree (!) with Darth Viscera. A gutsy move indeed.

Darth Viscera
    *hell freezes over*

JediBoricua
    We liberals are pretty reasonable guys Visc, you just have to give us a chance!

Marcus Telcontar
    http://news.com.au/common/story_page...%255E2,00.html

I guess I found this one amusing, given the lack of WMD. Now lack of bodies.

TCM'74
    I just don't know about that darned French press ya know? (heh) Anyways that is a somewhat unnerving article. Interesting. Will keep tuned for further developments.

Darth Viscera
    I don't see how our boys in either of those 2 convoys would be able to gauge the total strength, including support personnel, of the attackers, if this was taking place in a city. From what little I've heard, it seems as though our convoys adopted a purely defensive posture and high-tailed it out of there before stopping and realizing they'd just rebuffed major attacks. It doesn't sound as if the convoys immediately started pursuing the ambushers or anything, after all their mission is probably just to get from Point A to Point B.

But then, I haven't read the CENTCOM press briefings on this particular skirmish or anythign, I'm just assuming we left the enemy in command of the field for a while, long enough for the convoys to get out of there and a reaction force to be deployed to that site.

TCM'74
    Here is one of the top stories I found via my newspage: 'Samarra fight reveals new Iraqi tactics'.

I am always concerned about how delicate and volatile the circumstances are over in Iraq. And dread any new surgence of guerrilla sympathizers. The coallition forces over there have to be very careful how they handle things. To staunch any widespread anti-american sentiments.

Darth Viscera
    As it should brighten the days of all the free world. The terrorists have decided to confine themselves to an area with the highest concentration of western military assets in the world. They're leaving their caves! If it's a war of attrition they want, then it's a war of attrition they'll get. They can't possibly hope to match the numbers of the Coalition and its allies.

At least they're apparently not congregating en masse in an area where we have minimal control, such as Pakistan or the backwoods of Afghanistan, or zero control, such as Iran.

We are best equipped to deal with them in Iraq than any other place on the planet. Let the terrorists trap themselves.

Marcus Telcontar
    They can't possibly hope to match the numbers of the Coalition and its allies.
    That's not their purpose. Any fool knows they cant match military with the USA. What they want to do is turn Iraq into a resource and bodycount sinkhole like Vietnam. Their aim is political embarrassment and GI deaths.

Bin Laden is not a fool. He sees an opportunity to further his cause and he's taking it. Personally, I'd be rather worried because it's a logical move on his behalf.

Darth Viscera
    It's already a resource and bodycount sinkhole like Vietnam, thanks to the media, who are more than willing to overemphasize whatever bad news they can dig up or fabricate in order to make more money on that new 40% stronger-acting detergent commercial. Positive representation of the war in the media, from my chair, is zero.

Agreed. The Media has really been chomping at the bit to call the Iraq scenario a "quagmyre". Even days into the attack, with the initial resistance at al Nasiriyah, they were doing just that. Its utterly ludicrous.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast