Levelling up - Discussion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Serena Laran
    Serena Laran
    There's been some discussion in the past about "how do I get my character from Padawan to Knight," or from Knight to Master, and I think we should, as a group, hash out what we want the process to be. I personally struggled with our lack of clarity in this area when I was trying to get Serena to Master and it ended up I just claimed it because that's what people told me to do. But it felt...weird.

Should it be:
    A. The Player is responsible for coming to their master or the Council or the group as a whole and saying "I feel I'm ready to be a Knight/Master." Then we all say "sure" or "maybe not quite yet, I'd like to see more X from your character first"
    B. The master or Council is responsible for keeping tabs and letting the Player know when they are getting promoted.
    C. A mix of both - either/or - because sometimes we're not on top of things and obviously we don't want anyone to fall through the cracks.

And do we want to require an RP thread be done in order to 'prove' they can handle the rank? It doesn't need to be super long or involved, but just a simple "test" we send them on to see how they do. I was thinking that new people (not previously established rank transfers) who want to start as a knight or a master might be asked to do a thread to show they aren't going to abuse the rank, also.

Thoughts?
  2. Farran Esrimoure
    Farran Esrimoure
    I like a mix of the both, but with a focus on A. Not that the responsibility is placed solely on the learner, as the Master SHOULD be integrated in the learning process, but I think as time goes on and the learner is on their journey, the balance should slowly begin to tip. That way we can also use that as a measure of the drive needed to be a knight? if that makes sense?
  3. Satkia Beltrak
    Satkia Beltrak
    I agree that a mix of both with a focus on A. sounds like a good solution. As a trainer, I'm happy to help my students with storylines/missions/training as much as I can, and I normally keep track of what they're doing. Yet, the student should show involvement and doing their own thing, including keeping an eye and working on their character development.
  4. Kazahan
    Kazahan
    Honestly I don't think we need a 'proving' RP if we have the progression from Padawan to Knight to Master done well enough. Holo.net isn't really a gaming/ranking based RP; it's very much a story based RP site so being able to go back to threads and seeing the progression would do for 'proving', in my opinion, unless someone were to say "I'd like a thread for them to test in" in particular?

I'd say we do both A and B so we can properly make sure all our bases are covered.
  5. Dasquian Belargic
    Dasquian Belargic
    I agree with the cat man
  6. Serena Laran
    Serena Laran
    You're right - if someone is a padawan and has trained and gone on missions then there's no need for proving. But if they want a test thread we should be open to it, I think.

Proving a rank through an RP is more for if someone new wants to hop in as a master or something. If we're allowing that outside of rank transfers? Are we?
  7. Amos Iakona
    Amos Iakona
    What about when a Padawan hasn't had much of a chance to advance for a long time (ie. years)?

Myself and a few others have had some pretty unfortunate luck with masters/threads/etc, because of real life absenses and what not. There's always the "find a new master" angle, but that doesn't always work out, and there's only do many times you can shop around for a new mentor before it starts getting really weird in character. Do we just keep at it until we find something that sticks... or is there a point when we say "okay, enough time has passed IC that they should be a Knight by now - letd find a way to make that happen"?

Would that be a "make a thread to prove you're worthy" situation, or a "nah, it's about time, just claim it" situation like Serena?
  8. Serena Laran
    Serena Laran
    If there aren't training threads or mission threads and it's a problem of a padawan sort of falling through the cracks I personally lean toward having a promotion thread done? But that's just my opinion.
  9. Dasquian Belargic
    Dasquian Belargic
    I'd say a promotion thread, showing the development they have gone through, would make sense
  10. Kazahan
    Kazahan
    If someone's moving from outside, a test RP would be all right I suppose. Rank transfers still are weird to me, though. Completely understandable too at the same time. I figured though that was what mixing A and B was all about, so that way if someone feels like too much time is passing IC without any progression on their end, they could say, "Hey, rank test me!" and boom the process is started. And if that fails, then "Whatev, I'm a Knight from such and such a point." would do also.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast