View RSS Feed

Loose Threads

Between Two Interrogation Droids: Halajiin Rabeak

Rate this Entry
I recently had the pleasure of sitting down with Halajiin Rabeak, for an eye-opening conversation. Below is a transcript of our talk on...Between Two Interrogation Droids

What is your main motivation to get up in the morning?
Uh, you mean other than breakfast? Um, I dunno. Find stuff to do?

Do you have living relatives?
Not that I know of. I haven't actually contacted Nehantish, yet. Figured that'd be kinda weird. "Hey, I'm this guy that's been dead for over a century! We should meet!" Yeah, nothing creepy about that...

How would you say the changes in the galaxy since you were frozen in carbonite have affected you? How do the differences make you feel?
Not asking much, now, are we? Let's see... everyone I ever knew is dead. Turns out the Order I used to serve went down like a house of cards because of that dumbass Yoda not being smart enough to see he was getting played, and apparently "balance" was more important than the lives of the countless trillions who have died in the stupid war that ensued. How do they make me feel? Pissed the fuck off, that's how. Everything sucks, now. I mean, really, some Jedi Order we are...

If you ran the Jedi Order, what changes would you make on Ossus?

At first, I would have changed about everything. But, we're so few, and we're trying to rebuild. So... actually we're on a good path. We just need a better way of instructing our students. A few holocrons from the old Archives wouldn't go amiss, either. Wonder how hard it'd be to get my paws on one...

Do you have friends?
Um, yeah, I think. One for sure. Maybe two. And I think Tevit tolerates me enough. I'm at least on his bowling team, if that counts, though that doesn't always make you a friend.

What do you feel your purpose is?
Well, it used to be being the guy who'd take the dirty jobs. Now? I guess I'm supposed to be a vanguard of the Old Order, and teach everyone how things used to be, so we can get back to it. Not sure I'm the right guy for that, but, I'll try.

Are you scared of the Imperial Knights?
No.

And now a little chat with the man behind the character:

How long have you RPed Hal?
Since 2012, though I was away for at least a year or so.

Do you enjoy writing him?
Oh goodness, yes. He's so fun, and his internal dialogue gives me opportunities for comedy that I so seldom get in any of my other writing. He's out for a good time, but he's a good man, under it all. He's an interesting dichotomy, to say the least.

In what way is Hal like you, and how is he different?
I guess we both like doing our own thing, and finding creative solutions to problems, while we never quite fit in. Different? Well, he's certainly a lot more sexually active, and a lot more sexually carefree than I am, that's for sure! He's also got fur, a tail, and is a Jedi, so, those are some big differences, too.

Do you make any writing/stylistic choices for Hal that make him distinct from other characters you write?
In some ways, Hal shares an easygoing, straightforward writing dynamic as one of my oldest characters, which makes him easy to write. But with Hal, I focus more on being the free spirit, and allowing a sense of humor into otherwise serious settings. The internal dialogue was originally supposed to be a one-time deal, but it turned out to be so unique, and gave a new dimension to his character that I've continued it. He's the only character I write to have an internal dialogue, instead of just thinking to himself, and I enjoy taking stylistic liberties with Hal that simply wouldn't suit most of my other characters.

Share something about Hal not many people may know.
Hal really doesn't like peppermint. At all.

Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Halajiin Rabeak" to Digg Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Halajiin Rabeak" to del.icio.us Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Halajiin Rabeak" to StumbleUpon Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Halajiin Rabeak" to Google

Categories
Interviews , IC

Comments

*takes notes*