Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Destiny

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani

Unexpected Destiny

Imperial Center – 1035 Standard Hours.

In a closed session, several Moffs from various sectors, along with the Central Committee, had been pulled to discuss strategies to strengthen the Empire’s control over their systems. Without a visible leader, worlds were growing restless and the Rebellion was still pressing their propaganda against them. COMPNOR had successfully turned their campaign around and redirected the peaceful gestures and reminded the Empire of the acts of terrorism that the Alliance had caused resulting in loss of life and homeless citizens.

For the first hour of the closed session, there was much discussion on who would take the throne, or if a throne was actually necessary. The Empire was Palpatine after all, he brought it to life through his vision. Most of those present were divided however between the efforts of Chancellor Anar and Executor Sevon. Out of all the potential candidates, those two held much sway within the Empire either politically or militarily. They would have to ensure that any transition would be peaceful but many had their doubts. Nothing proved smooth when vacated power was claimed. If it became hostile, they would have to end any attacks quickly, otherwise the Rebellion would smell weakness and rally another offensive.

Eventually, they turned to the meat of the discussion, the restructuring of sector space. Several Moffs had grown complacent with power and didn’t want to stir the pot in their systems. Such lack of leadership would be the downfall of the Empire and eventually more systems will sympathize with the Rebellion. Strong leaders needed to be in place in order for effective policy to be dictated. The Committee was cutting out the fat, placing strong characters in key positions and offering promotions to those deserving of the title Moff. They were still ironing out the details.

Moff Cedna of the Meridian Sector spoke up. “I concur. Kelcin, Sarmab and Wivlen are definitely out. They sit on top of credits brought in. Change is not in their agenda.”

Grand Moff Jeanisen, a stalwartly man of sixty years, agreed. “Seconded. All in favor?”

“Aye.”

“Any oppose?”

There was silence.

“Motion passed.” Jeanisen tapped at his datapad. “That currently leaves us with eight sectors that have vacancies: Doldur, Parmel, Halla, Samix, Veragi, Spar, Lol, and Cegul. The number could have been quite higher but thanks to Moff Orles quick thinking on how to move several Moffs to different sectors, it saves us some time.”

“Perhaps Governor Farhin would do well in the Halla Sector?” Suggested Moff Tyean. “He has a good rapport with the Bimmisaari and knows that sector quite intimately. Farhin has personally weeded out a Rebel cell on Tria. I also think he’s long overdue for a promotion..”

Moff Rehma was young but gained support in the political arena by being bold and honest about his intentions, something not common amongst Moffs. It had served him well, as well as his daddy, the Grand Admiral, pulling some strings .. unbeknownst to his son of course. “I don’t see a problem with that choice. He is fiercely loyal and never asks anything for personal gain. His heart is with the Empire.”

“Speaking of those deserving of promotions,” Grand Moff Lerrenie cut in before any dissention could be spoken, “Why can’t we offer Tarkin one of the sectors.”

Several gasps were heard and every head turned towards the official next to them to murmur in debate at such bravado. Lerrenie held up a hand to hush the assembled Moffs. “If you would allow me to explain?”

Jeanisen nodded. “Proceed.”

“Thank you.” Lerrinie folded his hands and looked around the table with serious brown eyes that spoke of wisdom. “I realize that my nomination comes as a surprise to all of you, however my choice has merits. Miss Tarkin has been able to keep our citizens spirits lifted in times of utter strife. No matter how badly an engagement had ended, she was able to turn it around and point the finger to where it belonged; towards the Rebellion. The Imperial Navy loves and respects her and COMPNOR cannot stop praising her. She is loyal to the Empire and her ability to lead is substantial.”

Cedna interrupted. ”Much of which was built upon her name. Miss Tarkin would not have had the ability to climb the heights of her ambition without her father and grandfather’s backing, rest their souls.”

Lerrinie conceded, “Yes, that was the case at first but even with the odds stacked against her ability to rise in ranks, her intense will chipped away at stereotypes to a degree. That gave her continuing respect. Milking her family name would have only gone so far. Let’s be blunt gentlemen. If she were a man, Miss Tarkin would have been a Moff by now.”

No one dared to argue that point but Moff Aakrain could be quiet no longer. He was a middle-aged man in which life had been quite kind to him, as evident by his large belly. “You propose a new standard. One in which the Empire is not ready for. I doubt even Grand Moff Tarkin would welcome a change such as this.”

Lerrinie smiled in victory. Wilhuff Tarkin was a close personal friend and he knew much of the man’s secrets, some of which had come to light after his death. “I think our dearly departed Grand Moff would be horrified to learn that the Empire was holding back his beloved granddaughter who’s potential is limitless. Tell me, since all of you have been in her presence, does she not remind you all of him? Hmm? She is not quick to anger but pity the poor soul that does. She is brilliant under pressure and can make snap decisions on the spot. Her personality moves people, not her sex.”

His eyes narrowed at the portly Moff. “And if you honestly believe that he wouldn’t have approved of this promotion, need I remind you of Admiral Daala?”

The Committee grew silent and Aakrain looked away like a scolded dog. Admiral Daala was the first female Admiral, appointed by Grand Moff Tarkin. One could easily make the leap in logic that he would have nominated his granddaughter himself.

Lerrinie sat back and respectfully nodded to Jeanisen. “I’ve nothing further to add.”

Jeanisen raised a brow and looked at every Moff seated at the table critically. “Very well. Does anyone have anything else for the Committee to consider?”

His eyes turned back and forth, looking at the governors. “Then I second the nomination."

The Grand Moff presiding over the meeting made it clear in his voice that the discussion was over. He had kept silence during the short debate because he was biased. Lerrinie may have been friend to the deceased Grand Moff but he was close with the entire Tarkin family, especially Miranda. He didn't want the rest of the Committee thinking he was showing favortism, but a small chat before the meeting with Lerrinie was the only string he needed to pull. At least she had a chance now, however, it still had to pass by vote. "All in favor of Miranda Tarkin being promoted to Moff say aye …”

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    Miranda's Condominium - 1336 Standard Hours.

The Face of the Empire was enjoying her mid afternoon tea outside on the balcony while doing her homework. With the meeting on Rodia threateningly close, Miranda had been studying the extensive files on Black Sun's holdings, both legal and illegal. The new Queen had to be well equipped and make certain all those present at the meeting knew who was in charge. Her dominance at the top had to be certain. Any sense of weakness and everything that she and Sorsha had talked about would be for nothing.

Happily, the Empire had been so pleased with her Mid-Rim tour that she finally received some time off. The time needed to study simply fell into her lap. Everything was falling into place perfectly. In between charity events, several off the record business deals, shopping and spending much wanted time with her mother, Miranda squeezed in time to commit business figures, employees and possible future stratagems to memory.

beep beep beep beep

Miranda set down the datapad and saw that it was her mother calling. Lise had been overly exuberant lately, the source of her happiness was of course being able to see her daughter. Normally if she was lucky, Lise was able to spend time with Miranda once a week when on planetside. Now they were together every single day in some form, though Miranda couldn't shake the suspicion that something else had delighted her mother.

She accepted the call and smiled fondly when Lise's face appeared. Good afternoon, Miranda.

"Good afternoon, mother. How are you today?"

Very well. I overslept though. I haven't a clue as to why. Lise's lips curled into a knowing smile before she laughed.

Soon Miranda was joining in. "Yes well, you wanted to stay out late and see if you still had it in you. I just wasn't expecting your skill! You drank that poor Corporal under the table at the Zam." The Zam was short for The Zambulon, the officer lounge on Coruscant.

Yes, well. That is how I met your father. Lise put a hand over her mouth and giggled like a schoolgirl and hushed her voice as if she was revealing some dastardly secret. I had to carry him home. I never seen such disappointment in your grandfather's face!

Miranda doubled over, her stomach was beginning to hurt from the laughter. "Oh now the truth comes out! No wonder he dodged my questions about that! I bet papa gave him a thorough tongue lashing!"

Their conversation was interrupted by another transmission coming in. "I'm sorry, another call is coming in. Let me get rid of them so we can continue this."

Okay. Just be nice.

Miranda looked appalled. "I'm always nice." And then grinned. "Be right back."

She cued it over to the second line and her eyes widened noticeably in shock. "Grand Moff Jeanisen! What do I owe the pleasure?"

This was not a man she could just get rid of. Not only because of his station demanding respect, he was also a long time family friend of the Tarkins. He was like an Uncle to Miranda.

Come now, Miranda. It's Uncle Aeric to you.

She smiled.

Though, I'm afraid that this isn't a social call.

Then frowned. "My vacation is over?"

He nodded.

"Did something happen? The Rebellion again?"

No, no. Nothing like that, thankfully. But yes, things are starting to happen. Things that will help ensure the Galactic Empire's survival. The Central Committee is asking for your presence. A meeting is scheduled for 1500 hours at our home office. Is that a problem for you?

The Grand Moffs wanted to speak to her directly. Something was brewing. Something big. "No it isn't. Please inform the rest of the Committee that I'll be there. I hate to be insistent but mother is on the other line. I'll have to tell her that our plans are being pushed back."

Of course. Send my apologies and regards to Lise.

"I will Uncle Aeric. See you soon." With a sigh, she flipped the channel.

Oh there you are. I was wondering what happened.

"I'm sorry, but that was Uncle Aeric on the line, who sends his regards. Unfortunately, I've been called away so dinner will have to be later." She frowned apologetically. “Perhaps even cancelled depending on how long the meeting goes.”

Ah. It was only a matter of time. I'm surprised you had two weeks of peace as it were.

"True but when the Grand Moffs call for you, there is no choice but to heed their request."

Do you know what's happening?

"I honestly don't. Uncle Aeric didn't seem upset so I presume nothing bad has happened. All he mentioned was ensuring the Empire's future. I'm wondering if my tour was just the start of something bigger."

What time is the meeting?

"At 1500 hours."

Why don't we grab lunch first? The Central Committee wants to talk to you. I honestly doubt I'll be seeing you tonight as you said.

Business and politics would more then likely consume her entire evening. To think otherwise would be futile. Best to fit in as much time with Lise before her hands became tied. "It's a date. I'll come pick you up now."

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    Central Committee Office - 1503 Standard Hours.

"We're sorry to have disturbed you on your much needed vacation, Miss Tarkin." Lerrenie had pulled out a chair for Miranda and walked around the table to sit beside Jeanisen, who was at the opposite head of the table. Grand Moffs Antorus, Darkia, and Solvin were present as well.

"It's all right." Miranda smiled warmly to the assembled Grand Moffs and reflected back on the last time she was in this room. It was shortly after Imperial Center learned of the first Death Star's destruction. Her entire family was summoned here to learn of Wilhuff's death, and she was also asked to speak in front of the entire Galactic Empire. Andron and Lise had their concerns but Miranda was determined to speak her mind about the terrible loss she had suffered with her fellow citizens and speak evils committed by the Rebellion. "Mother and I got a quick lunch before coming here, so the day isn't completely ruined."

Jeanisen smiled. "And the rest of the day won't be ruined either."

That got Miranda's attention and she raised a brow with curiosity, almost begging the Grand Moffs to continue. Antorus was the next to speak. His jet-black hair was peppered with the first signs of grey. It only added another distinguished look to his chiseled face, hardened by years of service. "Several hours ago we held a meeting to restructure the Moffs in many systems. It was a necessary but tedious task. The Empire has been idle for too long since Palpatine's death. We're aiming to change that."

Miranda listened intently, trying to understand what her role could possibly be at this meeting. Perhaps she was here to assess Moff candidates? She has done similar character analysis for COMPNOR research. "And what have you come up with, sirs?" It was obvious they were all waiting for some sort of reaction from her.

"After much deliberation, eight sectors needed new leadership," continued Grand Moff Solvin. He was the newest member to the Committee, having been chosen to sit here after her grandfather had died. He was only in his forties but it was the engagement on Belsavis that killed several Rebel Cell leaders that put him on the map. Imperial Center had watched the young Moff tighten the Empire's control over his systems, which eventually led to his promotion. "We still have several vacancies ...."

Ah, I was correct. They need me to help fill in the gaps.

" ... We were hoping that you would be willing to take control of one of those systems Miss Tarkin."

Miranda let slip her surprise as confusion came over her. She could not have heard that correctly. "You wish me to govern as Moff?" Her heart just did a back flip. She could hear it beating against her chest with so much vigor that she thought it would explode.

Jeanisen nodded, trying to hide his smile. "Yes. The assembled Grand Moffs and Moffs voted in favor of this promotion." It was a nine to six vote in favor, but it was approved nonetheless. Jeanisen was certain that Miranda would convince those opposed she was perfect for the job in time. "We just need your acceptance to make it official."

The conversation she had with Sorsha came back vividly. Her complaints about power being dangled over her head, the Empire placating her and how they wish to keep her as a mere spokesperson were appeased! With the resources of a Moff and Vigo in Black Sun, the power at her command would be phenomenal! The waning pride she had felt for the Empire had all but disappeared before walking through the door. Just enough of it remained to leave her feeling awestruck. She felt like she was seventeen again, given the opportunity to serve her Empire.

She leaned forward, folding her hands in front of her and addressed the Grand Moffs respectfully. "I graciously accept the title and thank the Central Committee for allowing me to serve the Empire in this capacity. I am humbled by the responsibilities that you have placed in my lap. I will not disappoint you."

"Well then, Moff Tarkin," Lerrenie smiled, "We have many things to discuss. Your new station will cause quite the stir. We want to keep this a secret until your induction ceremony. To show it as a symbol of the ever evolving Empire. Are you good with that?"'

A few more days of peace and quiet would be welcomed. "I concur and have no trouble waiting."

"Excellent." Lerrenie cued up the sectors of space available. "Now ... as to which sector you shall be presiding over ..."

Sorsha Kasajian
    (ONE WEEK LATER, ON RODIA) -

"Yes, I heard what you said, you little worm. I want all production on the Hornet Interceptors terminated."

:: The man on the viewscreen flustered at Sorsha's order ::

But we need more time to troubleshoot the problem, Miss Kasajian! I can guarantee we've ...

"That is what you promised me three months ago, and the turblolasers still overheat. Isn't that right?"

Well , erm ... yes ... but ...

"Time is money, Ikol, and you're wasting mine. I would rather commission TransGalMeg for additional fighters."

What about the completed Interceptors?

"Cannibalize them for parts."

But Miss Kasajian, we could still make a profit by ...

"IKOL!!!" she snapped with a dangerous smile. "Are you arguing with me?"

:: The man sighed in resignation ::

No, Miss Kasajian.

:: Sorsha turned off the com and and rose from her conference table as the receptionist entered ::

"You have a Suprise Visitor, Miss Kasajian."

"Who?"

"A Suprise Visitor. Shall I send them in?"

:: Sorsha gazed at the skylight as her stomach growled at her ::

"Yes ... bring them in."

:: She sat down again and closed her eyes, waiting for the next irritant ::

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    Miranda waited patiently as Sorsha's receptionist went inside the office, who was more then happy to go along with this surprise. It had been a trying day today for Miss Kasajian. It hadn't taken long for her return.

"You can go in now." The young woman said with a crooked smile.

She patted the receptionist on the shoulder and stepped inside. The closed with an audible click, Miranda leaned against it with her arms crossed, grinning madly. If Sorsha was having such a bad day as the girl at the desk suggested, it would infuriated her to no end of having a surprise guest fail to introduce themselves properly.

Sorsha Kasajian
    :: Sorsha opened her eyes, and was dumbstruck at the sight of her lover grinning at her ::

"Miranda???"

:: She blinked as though her eyes were playing tricks on her ::

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    She laughed merrily and closed the distance between them. "Yes, Miranda. Have I been gone so long that you already forgotten about me?"

Her lips drooped into a pout but inside she was mad with cheer.

Sorsha Kasajian
    :: Sorsha rolled her eyes and chuckled ::

"To what do I owe this visit? The meeting is still a week away."

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    She held out a finger in question. "Tell me. Have you heard anything ... peculiar coming out of the Core?"

Miranda had to play. The news was no fun if she couldn't play.

Sorsha Kasajian
    :: Sorsha canted her head suspiciously at Miranda. She was having far too much fun ::

"Only that the Moffs are being re-assigned. Why?"

:: Her mind was racing at lightspeed for the cause as her lover's grin widened ::

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    "Mmmhmm." News was quite vague for the average citizen but her lover's spies had come through.

Miranda walked around the desk and sat on Sorsha's lap. "Take a guess as to who the new Moff of the Doldur sector is."

She encouraged Sorsha with nod of her head, leaning closer to whisper. "Come on ... guess."

It was becoming evidently more clearer that it was difficult for Miranda to contain her mirth much longer.

Sorsha Kasajian
    :: Sorsha's bewilderment increased, until it finally broke with a smile ::

"... and who did you kill, my pretty?"

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    She wrapped her arms around Sorsha's neck and scolded. When the woman you loved was an Assassin, they always presumed death was involved. "Always with the killing. No. They gave me the promotion by majority vote."

"Finally!" She stole a kiss. "My worth has been recognized!"

Sorsha Kasajian
    :: Sorsha caught Miranda around the waist and squeezed playfully ::

"You do realize what this means for us?"

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    "Yes," she purred and took Sorsha's mouth in a deep kiss. "It means that the possibilities are endless, my love."

Sorsha Kasajian
    "Starting with the Corellian run .... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!"

:: Sorsha lifted Miranda onto the desk, laughing madly between kisses and sighs ::

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    Miranda shoved the bothersome items off Sorsha's desk to make this far more pleasurable for the two of them. They had so much to celebrate ...

Three Days Later - CGN (Coruscant Galactic News) Feed

A newswoman was surrounded by many of her colleagues in front of a stage garnished in the colors of the Galactic Empire. "Hi this is Kelhie Kamieron of CGN coming to you live from Rodia! Everyone is still buzzing about the history that was made here today as Miranda Tarkin was inducted as the first ever female Moff of the Galactic Empire."

The scene cut to Miranda, dressed crisply within the Moff dress uniform as Grand Moff Jeanisen handed her the commission.

"We learned that she will be presiding over the Doldur Sector. It's my speculation that Rodia was chosen for the ceremony because Moff Tarkin's long time friend, Sorsha Kasajian, was in system to witness the event. As we all know, the Kasajian Exchange is a valuable asset to the people of this system."

The scene cut again, this time showing a portion of Miranda's speech.

"Moff Tarkin was humbled as she spoke. Honored to serve her people."

I promise to serve the Galactic Empire to my fullest extent and bring peace to our sector of space. I know full well that this area has been hostile due to Rebellion incursions. I refuse to have my administration to remain idle as my people are killed or forgotten because of corruption and decent.

No. This marks a new era. An era in which our citizens can rest easily to know that someone who leads them understands their pain and has lived through their suffering. I will not rest until this sector of space is rid of their taint. Only then will we find peace.

Miranda clicked the viewscreen off in her office and smiled at the beautiful blonde sitting on top of her desk. Her main office would be on Doldur proper, but the Moff of a sector had smaller offices on each world they controlled.

It was four hours after her induction and Miranda felt lightheaded. She was the talk of the galaxy again! As soon as the ceremony was over, a brunch was held as well as a tour of the important Imperial holdings. Things were moving so fast today that she hadn't a chance to change out of her uniform, much to Sorsha's delight.

She traced a finger down Sorsha's leg with a grin. "I think that went exceedingly well. I hadn't heard an ovation like that since I spoke about the Battle of Yavin."

Sorsha Kasajian
    "The people adore you." Sorsha purred, stretching out on the desk as she lay on her back.

"And so do I."

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    She positioned her head to get the best possible view down the length of Sorsha's body. "You look simply ravishing."

If there was one thing that she prized over the desk in front of her, it was the woman lying across it.

Sorsha Kasajian
    "Thank you."

:: Sorsha laughed, curling her fingers lazily as she gazed up at the ceiling ::

"Now, pretty pretty, what would you like to do? Officially of course."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast