Thread: Hannibal

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo

TV Hannibal

I know there are some folks around here who are interested, so I thought I'd give this show its own thread for discussion when the second season starts on 28th February on NBC. I love this show, it's some of the best television I've seen, and the first season was consistently good.

Spoiler warning for those who haven't seen the first season, here's the trailer for season 2:

Oh my!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I hadn't seen the trailer for season two yet - it looks AMAZING.

I have to watch it on my iPad so the horror isn't 55" on my wall. So much body horror. Worst from season 1- mushroom gardens or pez dispenser head doctor??

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

In this article, I found this paragraph really interesting:

[Fuller noted he’s always seen Hannibal’s first three seasons as “three missing novels” in the Thomas Harris series (Red Dragon would be the story of Season 4.) In Season 2, there’s not quite as much of the case of the week aspect, though it still exists – the first two episodes tell one story, with Fuller noting, “The first case was kind of a big operatic story, so we thought we can’t do that in one episode.” He also described the premiere as a pretty big continuation from Season 1, saying it, “kind of charted where everyone was psychologically from the first season.” Going forward, “We have some long arcs for the show… Things get really bad for lots of characters.”]
    Fuller has apparently said he'd like to do seven seasons of this, which means we could see later seasons taking on the stories we're familiar with, like Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs, the latter of which is one of my absolute favourite films, but I'd love to see it reimagined for television. I hope we do get someone cast as Clarice Starling in the future, provided the show goes the distance.

I love this show, and based on so many of the murder scenes they've concocted, I've come to the conclusion that much of the writing staff must be totally psycho.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    Oh yes, this show makes me alternate between really impressive disgust and extreme hunger. Why does it always look so great.

mushroom gardens for sure.. bleh..

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    hmmm... my psychopath serial killer line up has been sadly lacking since the end of Dexter. I may have to find season one and catch up.

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

You should, it is really good!

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    I really enjoy this show. Possibly too much <3 Can't wait to see it come back and see the fallout from last season's ending, really. The fact they'd like to take it through a few of the novels makes me pretty excited too since I'd love to see them adapted for television as well.

[ Is it... wrong I wasn't really bothered by any of the murder scenes, though? Mushroom garden was more interesting than creepy to me.]

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    This show makes me... happy. It's delicious. And I do mean in more ways beyond the food. I'm definitely looking forward to season two, as well.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    All I can say far is just... Episode 2... Holy crap that intro I was NOT expecting D:

...also can someone please just give Will a hug? Please....?

Step AWAY FROM THE BARS, MA'AM!

yeah I was D: all through the first five minutes

there is no passion; there is serenity
    there is no death; there is the Force

Kei'suke Zendu
    Love this show. It's gorgeous and rich in the way that it's filmed, the killings are great/disgusting, the food scenes are delicious and the acting is fantastic. I will say that I was slightly disappointed in the season ender from season one, the first episode of season two blew my mind. SO FANTASTIC.

The killer who turned people into angels was a million times more disgusting than the mushroom farm. Usually watching horror makes me hungry, Hannibal makes me sick with all the gore at times D:

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Last night's episode was, for me, far and away the best episode of the second season so far. That is not to say the previous three weren't brilliant, too, but this one was an absolute thrill from start to finish. I joked earlier that the tension was so high that I didn't notice any of Hannibal's delicious ties. The bizarre unnerving musical cues which accompanied [Will's flashbacks] and that ending scene was a particular highlight.

I was pleased to discover that this episode, Takiawase, is named after a method of slowly and separately simmering different ingredients for a single dish. How apt, considering the various plot strands steadily escalating here: first, there was the psycho-of-the-week story (Honey-Bunny as the honey-bee killer? Nice!), which can stand proudly amongst the fine league of depravity which populates the series; a moving and harrowing portrait of the effect cancer has upon people's lives, providing deeply poignant moments for Jack and "Bella" Crawford, and a welcome return from Gina Torres; and finally, Will and Beverly's investigation into Hannibal, which was rife with revelations and the all-important cannibal epiphany, furnishing the episode with an incredibly tense and dramatic climax.

The investigation has taken some serious knocks, what with Chilton confessing to Hannibal the truth of his discussions with Will, and, as much as it saddens me to say it, the departure of Beverly Katz. Although, I'll happily be wrong about that last bit. This episode was fully-loaded, and yet each of the plots were masterfully balanced and interwoven, and I felt suitably uneasy throughout the whole thing. You know it's a good bit of telly when it takes you an hour to come down from your buzz. This show just goes from strength-to-strength, and as I wait for each new episode to come out, the weeks are starting to feel longer and longer!
    Last edited by Droo; Mar 23rd, 2014 at 04:49:02 AM. Reason: Bunny, not Bee. I should know better!

I can't see how [she's alive NEVER GO IN THE HOUSE but if you must don't go down the stairs to the murder dungeon. ]

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    Finally got to watching the most recent episode... and you were right, Droo. Best episode this season, so far. Just... holy shit. Wow.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Mukozuke

daaaamn, son

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Just saw the finale. Excuse me while I try to reattach my jaw.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Haha, yeah, that sure was something, wasn't it.

D: